cost of paint job

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by duster70, May 3, 2006.

1. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

when it comes to paint, listen to people that have done it before.

you get what you pay for. PERIOD

Earl Shieb and MAACO all use cheap paint in their cheap paint job promos. you get what you pay for. they use vaseline to mask stuff off with, and sometimes that vaseline gets under the paint that they spray, and the paint will lift after a few months,... the paint they use is cheap paint and will fade in 6 months.

body work is 90% of a paint job... if the body is jacked, the best paint job will look like crap.
    bottom line is.. go to a couple place and tell them what you want. they will tell you what it will take.. then you can usually negotiate with them.. i had a friend one time work for free for a month to get 500 bucks knocked off a paint job. it all depends on what you want to do

generally speaking.. paint job.. complete.. body, primer.. blocking it out, and paint and clear... the whole job.. will run from 2000-5000.

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    When using single stage, I've heard that you can mix some clear in with your last couple of coats to give it more shine. Something I will try since I like single stage for solid colors. My single stage paint shines as good as 2 stage but lots of clear will give it the more depth look.

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    How do you drive a car into a horse? Did the horse live?

4. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    It was a dreary, foggy morning, heading to my place of employment at four AM..

Sounds like a mystery novel.

Dad was driving in the fog and by the time he could see the bottom of the horses (plural, there was 3 or 4 of them in the road) he slammed on the brakes and ended up hitting one and scooping it up over the top of the car, tearing out the hood, windshield, T-tops, and rear window louvres. The horse lived as far as I know...it was able to leave the scene of the accident. Luckily, it was easy to see where they came from, as the fence had been broken down, so we got the farmer's insurance to cover it.

5. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Yep, you're right...that's something we did about 15 years ago. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in a long time though. The only single stage paint I use will be the flat colors you sometimes see on bumpers and such. I use base/clear on everything else we paint and have for the last 12-13 years or so. B/c is definitely more expensive...but I charge more. :D B/c is the only way to go for a production shop in my opinion. I figure I must be right because all of the production shops I know of, that's all they use too. I taught em good. :rolleyes: