Cost of Rust, Body, and Paint?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Deerhog, Mar 4, 2017.

1. 73curtis

73curtis Member

Vehicle:
    How many mavericks usually end up with rotted cowls , I've been lucky

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Between rotted cowls and decaying windshield rubber the number is probably pretty high. My cars suffer from bad windshield rubber but that is going to change soon just hope I can get a good install and be leak free as it seems like most of the time they leak

3. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Not sure how it'll all turn out, but I plan on using some urethane sealant on the inside and outside surfaces of my windshield gasket. Years ago I knew a guy that did just that to his early Mustang windshield and said it seemed to help rigidity. Hopefully that eliminates any leaks down the road and helps structural rigidity like the newer cars. Just pray that the front windshield doesn't crack under the added stress of being glued tight when I get more serious with suspension mod's and big tires all around. Also hoping that some added chassis bracing/strengthening may help eliminate or reduce potential glass failures too.

4. schroensr

schroensr knight Runner

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Mercury Comet
    You really should take the car to a shop that people recommend in your area. Labor is the biggest cost , quality of products is most important if you want it to last. Sheet metal work is also costly. If its rusty , replace the rust with new sheet metal. You will be happy in the end.

5. Deerhog

Deerhog Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Mercury Comet GT
    Here are some pics. The pic with the rust in it has the same amount on the other side of the car.

Attached Files:

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    After seeing pictures....I think you will that car has more rust than what is actually visible. I see signs of previous body work/rust repair.

7. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Rust is like an iceberg ... take what you can see and multiply by 4 or 5.

Not trying to talk you out of working on it, but it will need a fair amount of love.... and love=$$$$$. To do paint right, imagine the car pretty empty ... no glass, no interior.

The rust by the rear wheel probably extends to some inner structure too. Drivers door will need a strip along the whole bottom.

What shape are the cowl and floors in? .... pull up the carpet and take a look. Run a bucket of water into the cowl vent and see if any comes into the interior. If it does, a rusty cowl means some surgery. How about the trunk floor?

Being from Texas, I still have faith this car could be brought back. It will take a commitment thought.

8. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Being from Texas, I still have faith this car could be brought back. It will take a commitment thought.
    Concerning the rust and body work that's going to be required to bring this Comet to where you want it .. Doesn't look as though you'll be overwhelmed. I've repaired "worse" on my 70 Maverick and it came out alright .. Just stay encouraged .. There's always a Light at the end of the tunnel ... ( Just make sure it's not ANOTHER TRAIN !!)
    Keep in mind .. you have a COMET !! It's worth the effort to put another one on the road !!
    Cometized
    (Chip)

9. Deerhog

Deerhog Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Mercury Comet GT
    I will pull the carpet and look at the floors and pour some water down the cowl vents (are those the grooves under the windshield?) I already plan or replacing the driver door because of some other problems I have with it. I don't think there is much more body rust as the other side of the car isn't as bad as the pics that I sent. But like others have said I never really know until the car is stripped down to metal.

10. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    My driver side door is completely rusted out on the bottom, but the passenger side has no rust holes. One plugged and the other didnt?

11. Deerhog

Deerhog Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Mercury Comet GT
    I poured water down the cowl vents and nothing came into the cab. I also pulled up the carpet and and the floors look solid. I think the only rust I have in on the body.

12. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Well thats a good sign, makes it more worth it when you dont have to deal with cowl and floor repair. Now if the drop down area in the trunk is good it would make it even better. Luckily enough the replacement parts are starting to flow and that makes life a whole lot easier

13. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    Mines been in shop for 6 months now, it looks nice so far but was expecting it back much sooner. The last 3 weeks have been just to buff it and install windshield.

14. 73curtis

73curtis Member

Vehicle:
    Any pictures?

15. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    this one was just after the new top was installed but before the final buffing and window installs. Once I get it home I just need to reinstall the rest.
    This is the latest one I have just after the new top install, since then he did the final buffing and window installations.
    How long have you had your '73? Looks really nice !
    IMG_4130.jpg

CaptainComet likes this.