Cowl Repair Advice

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by KitKat, May 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    That's because you've made it look ' natural ' and inconspicuous . Next time you're at a car event .. just for 'grins'
    point it out to someone that still has the slats . The fact that no one has mentioned it attests to your expertise !
    Cometized
    (Chip)

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    thanks...:Handshake:
    I was kind of proud of the way it turned out, it was my first attempt at body work.
    I just thought it was because most people didn't know Mavericks had them.

3. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Chip,
    You are really starting to sell me on getting rid of the vents. Did you do any of these with the windshield in place? I get it that a welding blanket to protect the glass would be necessary.

Some one should tell that to the guy that cut my shock towers way back when ... grrrr ....

4. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Chip,
    You are really starting to sell me on getting rid of the vents. Did you do any of these with the windshield in place? I get it that a welding blanket to protect the glass would be necessary.

5. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Cap'
    Yep ! We did the ' delete ' on three cars with the windshield in place... Just mind the glass area and protect it .. We did it with towels , cardboard , and then masking tape at the bottom to insure no sparks could enter the protected area. If your car has a nice paint job .. you'll have to protect those areas with blankets, towels , etc. and be sure to use masking tape to hold everything in place while you're doing the work. Not too difficult .. Just take your time and you'll be pleased at the access you have to the area beneath the vents.. There is plenty of room to make repairs .. We usually eliminate the 'chimney or chimneys as they aren't necessary for a Vintage Air setup which we usually swap out . A lot would depend on the extent of the damaged areas.. It's possible to inspect these areas with a ' strong ' flashlight 'viewing through the slats' and Under the dash prior to any repair work.
    If you decide to do this , I'll be glad to give you any input you might need on the procedures . I've shown a good bit
    of it in my website www.cameoclub.com Just a footnote on this procedure .. By doing the delete you eliminate the area where trash can ' Enter' the underside cowl area .. and protect it from future deterioration . Lemmeno .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

6. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Question on welding on cowl? Seems like the underside of the weld area wud be prone to rusting, if it can't be coated on the underside! Also, once cowl is sealed , how do you get outside/mixing air coming thru AC system?

7. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hello Everett:
    Great question. We coat everything with Ospho , before the Resin applications INCLUDING the underside of the cowl with a 'throw-away' cheap paint brush ( Lowes .75cents) ..After the Ospho is applied , we perform the Matting, and Resin applications .. After drying we then use POR 15 and cover all the areas worked on . Afterwards we weld in the panels, finish the surfaces worked on and prep for paint . On the Outside/Mixing air for AC system we install VINTAGE ACs in all our deletes so Outside/Mixing air isn't required for their systems. We use a GEN 11 setup which is actually a good size for the UNDERSIDE of the dash area on Comets or Mavericks. The GEN 11 is for a larger Chevrolet usually and it performs quite well in the smaller cars.
    Cometized
    ( Chip )

8. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I capped off my top hat and have had no issues with lack of outside air...stock A/C setup under dash. when you flip to max air it closes the outside air door anyway.

9. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Frank:
    "Capping" the chimney or chimneys MAY cause an issue with the Defroster Function ?? Dunno .. All our mods have Vintage ACs .. Hey .. If it works .. It works !! Sounds like yours DOES !! The Vintage ACs reroute some heat thru the AC to accomplish the defrosting.. Works Great !! Wow .. seems like there is a lot of interest in Sealing the Cowl
    Slat Areas . I personally like the change. Some will , and I guess some won't .. at any rate.. the cowl areas of our cars DO sometimes require some serious attention . and the cowl sealing is just ONE of the methods ..
    Cometized
    (Chip)

10. 71mavkidd

71mavkidd Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    The big slats are obviously an issue. Seems to me that any repair should involve a solution for preventing garbage from getting into the cowl in the future, even if everything is sufficiently slathered in the rust preventative of your choosing, you still don't want that debris buildup in the cowl area.

The cowl delete is clearly a good option. Has anyone done something different? i.e. Kept the vents, but with added trash prevention? I don't want to do the delete, but certainly won't be leaving the slats unaltered.

11. William623

William623 Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    I saw someone who replaced their cowl and when the top was off they welded a mesh to the underside to stop debris from coming in. Looked decent. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture.

12. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    A lot of different cars came from the factory with a "mesh" in this area to block debris for going into the cowl. I know my 1996 Mustang has this. It would need to be some type of mesh that would not rust or deteriorate.

13. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Frank :
    Me too ! I usually have to call it to their attention . This is because the Slat-Delete feature looks so ' Factory ' and
    enhances the cars appearance ! You've done a nice job on Patches !
    Chip

71gold likes this.
  14. stoney

stoney Member

Vehicle:
    72 Sprint, 302
    The cowl delete is just 18g sheet metal welded/bonded in place? 20201018_172113.jpg