custom front clip?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by hwk1b, Jun 25, 2006.

1. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    The clip is 67-68.
    It bolted right on.
    So installing it is a snap.
    The problem is getting the body lines to work together.
    The guy with that car ran for quite a while with mismatch body lines, but a very nice looking front clip.
    After he finally got around to terminating the opposing body lines, he wrecked the bumper and grille. This pic is after it was parked up for a while.
    He has since:
    Got the front clip back to nice condition
    Sold the car to a kid that lacked the ability to handle the 347/T5
    The kid wrapped it around a telephone pole
    Now the original guy has the car back and is selling the engine, scrapping the body...

2. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    You know...they should outlaw telephone poles (nobody uses them anyway, nowadays with cell phones and all!) and trees... :rolleyes:

I just read in the newest Hot Rod where some guy bought a gold Chevelle that had been in a semi-trailer for 30 years, and smashed it into a tree on the first night...the guys name was Mike TREE!!! :yikes:

3. elliot

elliot Member

Vehicle:
    76 4 door 347 paxton and t56
    That makes me want to build a "bullitt" maverick :evilsmile . Mabey for my next model :) .

4. luckyirishpride

luckyirishpride "Youngest Comet Owner"16!

Vehicle:
    2x 1971 Mercury Comets Both V8s, P/S/, A/C
    I love that MUSTAVERICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Now that is pretty freakin' interesting! Since I'm going to be putting a fiberglass dog house on my car anyway, I might end up with a mustang one instead of a mav.

Ratio, which body lines didn't match up? I guess I'm mostly worried about the width and how it matches up to the maverick doors and stuff.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  6. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    It all bolts up fine... width and everything was cool.

Trouble spots:

Cowl doesn't take same shape as Stang hood. Dude had a cowl scoop though, so it was hidden.

Door shape is a little off the curve of the fender, but not bad as you would think.

Body lines...
    The Mav body line is near the center of the car, while the Stang has a sharp body line high on the fender.
    If you look closely at the pic, you can see he faded both body lines down to nothing where the fender and door meet.

Dave

7. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    That is Bad Azz! I really like that idea. I never would have thought it would go on that easy. I think the Mustang clip looks better on the Maverick than the Mustang. It just looks mean. I've got a spare front clip or 2 from 67-68 Mustangs out in the garage. Might have to throw those on my 70 Grabber and see what all is involved in getting all the body lines right.

8. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Yeah, I was looking at that picture and it looks like the top line on the door and fender line up pretty well. As for the lower door line, I could shave that off on a fiberglass fender and just fade the line of the door as it approaches the fender with a flat hammer and dolly.

I don't think I'll need a cowl hood, but I might put a small one on if it's not going to line up right. That'll just make it look meaner anyway.

I totally agree on it looking better on the mav.

glasstek sells a mustang front end for $700 and the hood for $250. US Body sells the whole smash for $1300. Glasstek is a lot closer to me though, and I might be able to pick it up by hand the next time I visit my folks.

9. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    If you really got frisky you could probably graft a Mustang door skin to the Mav door and line them up that way...of course you would have to get the 1/4 section from the Mustang 1/4 with the scoop and graft that on as well to make it all look good. Im gonna go do some measuring.

10. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    The thing I don't like about the arrangement is the fact that the front fenders are flared, while the rear fenders are almost an inverted flare.
    The guy was going to trim the rear wells up to the body line and then blend in a flare, but he never got around to it.

11. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
  12. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    This is what I would do, remove the body line on the Mustang fender. Touched the pic up with picworks just to get an idea how it would look. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  13. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I really like the second pic with the line removed. I have always thought that that line was the only thing that detracted from the beauty of the maverick, and wondered how it would look removed.

Changes the look totally.

14. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    I agree! That looks great!. How would you go about removing it on the real thing? Just curious.

15. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    Well I tried to get the fenders off my 70 today to see what all has to be done for this. But since a couple bolts rounded off on me I didnt have enough time to get that done...maybe sometime next week when I can get the cut off wheel or torch to it. What I did notice with the Mustang fender next to it is that the rear of the fender definitly has to be massaged to fit the Maverick Door. Also I noticed the the top of the fender where it butts up against the window is not as tall as the Maverick, so...I dont know if the Maverick piece would have to be cut out and welded to the Mustang fender or what. I guess I will know next week probably.

About the upper body line on the front fender, heres what I would see the best solution being (if your using steel fenders that is). Start off cutting a slit right down the middle of that body line, several inches at a time, then just using a hammer and dolly work one piece at a time (upper or lower) and tap it to shape, then do the other. Im thinking that when you get the other piece tapped down, there will be an overlap of the metal that you would have to cut out to further work it into place and butt the two pieces together. Then tack and butt weld them in place when you get it all done. Hard part would be toward the rear of the fender because there is a support in there that you would have to work around. Would be quite a bit of work to make it look RIGHT. If you've never done body work or welding before I wouldn't recommend it!