Decent Couple of Weeks!

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by Maxx Levell, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mav 2 dr, 1971 Mav 2 dr...thanks Old Guy!
    What's up guys? I hope everyone is having some success on the track this year. The Mav and I have had a couple of decent weekends at the track. This past weekend, I went to Hardingsburg KY and raced at the Ford Memorial Race that the 429-460 Site guys put on. Was lucky enough to make it to the Finals in the No-Box class, and also managed a new best of a 6.31 out of the little car! As an aside, there was another Maverick that runner upped in the Box Class as well...and we were both dialed about the same. There were 3 of us there with Mavericks, and we all did pretty well. The other Mav made it to 4 cars in the Box class! In the No-Box class, everyone decided to split the money evenly at 4 cars...so made a few dollars, and had a good time with some die hard Ford guys.

Last weekend, I was fortunate enough to win Open Comp at the OSCA event that was held at my local track. Open Comp is basically a class (in OSCA) where you do 2 qualifying runs, and then your quickest et is used for your dial the rest of the race. It's run on a .500 Pro Tree. You qualify n a ladder by your reaction time. I was #1 with a .002 after the first rd, and ended up at #2 after the second qualifying rd lol. Total payout was $1000, and we split it 50/50 prior to the final run. Opponent redlit against me, and I loaded up the little yellow beast and my check, and smiled all the way home :)

junrai, Wilbur Green and tbirdz12 like this.
  2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Sounds like it just keeps getting better for you Tom, cars running quicker and more consistent your making a few dollars and having fun and thats what it is all about. Good job and make the little ole Maverick feared by your opponents

Wilbur Green likes this.
  3. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Burnin corn

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick Grabber,2017 dodge ram,88t-bird,indian scout,Indian Chieftain.95 Mustang GT
    Awesomeness! Sounds like a lot of fun. I miss the good old days when I could race every week. Keep up the good work.

4. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Congrats!!!!! Sounds like you had some fun.....

5. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Here's a video of qualifying for the OSCA weekend...left the GoPro's on the table for the Ford Memorial Race :slap:

6. MaverickRunner

MaverickRunner Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 302
    Nicely done! What hood are your running?!

7. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you...the hood is a combination cowl/Grabber hood that a former Canadian member on here had made. His name was Jimmy Beaulieu, and he had a boat place local to him make them. There are still a few of them that pop up now and then for sale on here. I love the hood...but others weren't fans lol. Mine took forever to get through customs...but I thought it was worth the wait.

8. mcknight77

mcknight77 Member

Vehicle:
    74 Mav drag car, 1970 Maverick, 1971 Bronco, 66 Nova, 67 Ranchero
    Good job! Having fun AND making money. Hard to beat that.

9. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Lol...Thank you! I ummm...re-invested the money I won into a used Miller Syncrowave 180 SD TIG welder this week! Popped up on CL, and had less than 15 hours on it.

Wilbur Green likes this.
  10. murphy88

murphy88 Member

Vehicle:
    73 maverick 76comet
    Nice launch,, does it have a trans brake ?

11. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    o
    if racing can pay for itself after you finish the build out of pocket youre doing good

12. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Yes...I run a PG transmission with a transbrake. I think launch RPM on the video above was 4000.

Oh...I can promise you...cars, and racing in particular, are going to cost you plenty over a lifetime! My Dad once told me that the only way to make a small fortune racing is to start with a big one lol.

As a general rule...I tend to do ok racing. I don't make money by any means, but most seasons, I usually make enough to pretty much break even. When I start getting ahead of that balance, I do like I mentioned above...I purchase a new (to me) piece of equipment, or parts for the car that I want. I've been wanting a TIG welder for a while now...and the timing was right to pull the trigger on that purchase.

I also purchased a new set of AFR 220 heads, and ordered a custom FlowTech Induction camshaft from Ed Curtis for my combination a couple of weeks ago :evilsmile:. The heads are sitting in my office at the house, and I think the cam should be getting here soon. Looking forward to seeing how much that wakes the little car up. I'd really like to get a sub 6 second timeslip with the car, and then concentrate on making it more consistent.

I had planned to mini-tub the car and get an 8.50 cage installed last winter...but my buddy who owns the chassis shop had a stroke, and torpedoed those plans. With the new welder, I can now do it myself this winter. That should be a BIG step in helping put the new HP to the ground...

It's always something lol...and no rest for the wicked :cool:

Wilbur Green likes this.
  13. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    I meant that you can pay for the fuel entry fees and hopefully the parts that break with the money from the track youre doing good
    I hope to be racing by next season well see how the finances go I still need to finance a transmission driveline radiator and I. not positive on what else. oh yeah I know seatbelts well see what they say about a fire suit and a helmet

keep on representing that maverick for us who arent there yet