Desert Mavericks.......Sand Box

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Tech & Talk' started by Ryan, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    Picked up a Hurts shift boot assembly today. it might be just big enough to cover the hole. Figured id try this one before going with the next bigger one from mr. gasket. the Hurst looks alot nicer so I hope it fits.

2. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    72 Turbo FI Maverick, 2006 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4, 2014 Ford Mustang GT 4spd
    This thread is worthless without pics!

3. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    The whole thread is worthless? :huh:

no pics of the shift boot because I havent had time to put it on yet. Spent this evening cleaning out the bed of the truck and getting it ready for my father in law to drive it for a week when he comes to town friday. and cleaned up the garage a bit so I could more around a little. tomorow Ill atleast test fit the boot and see if its big enough.

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Does a hurts boot come from China? :hmmm:

5. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Maybe its one of those knockoffs, :rofl:

Well another night went by and I didnt even get the boot out of the bag to match it up. Was busy watching my son and nephew and then took the truck out to wash it and realized it needed a new battery too. That involved going to Oreillys and once again training the nimrods their on how to do their job and warranty my battery out. Just because I work in store support it dosnt mean I want to support their ass when Im trying to be a customer.

6. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    How about us non-employees that have to help out?!? I've had times when I got so frustrated (and it's not just OReilly's but all the large parts stores) I just went home, found the part number, checked inventory on the web and went back to pick it up. What does that say about who they hire??? (Present company excepted!) And my only experience in a parts store was as a parts runner back in 1980!

7. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Its a pretty tough place to staff with the right people. Really what mechanic or somebody with great car knowledge is going to work for $8-$10/hr? But the management should be backing up each of the employess and listen for when they need help or are giving bad info. If the managers dont have the knowledge then they are doomed. And believe me, we hire alot of the wrong managers. I dont care if they had a great track record at CVS and can keep a store really clean. You HAVE to be able to help the customers and have Parts knowledge. I accept the fact that not everybody will know alot about all cars, many of my employees would walk cirlces around me when it came to Hondas. But they have to know how to use the system and the tools we have available. Its ok if they dont know my car because I can get them to find the parts I need. But they better be able to sell and find my warrantys when I need them.

8. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    Well, I'm a bit biased in that regard. When I was looking for work about 5 or 6 years ago I dropped an application. I knew the manager and she was so excited to get me to fill it out. I figured $8-$10 an hour was better than unemployment, but I never got a call back. AND they needed people at that store at the time! So whatever. They had an opportunity and they blew it in my opinion. I'd like to blame the manager, but she wanted to hire me on the spot. I'm not sure how corporate nixed it, but they did.

9. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Ive seen it happen plenty before. I get a good person I want to hire and need help ASAP. The district manager looks at the application and sees the applicant is way over qualified for a $8-10 job. they say why should we spend the time and money training somebody that will jump out at the first chance they get. theyd rather hire somebody that has no other options and will be indebted to us for giving them a job.

Id rather hire and train 10 Tonys a year then 1 Omar (the last guy I had to hire when I was at a store).

10. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    I talked to my boss tonight and he said we can get 25% off our pizza and stuff but we all have to order it all togethor so he can ring it up under my discount. Its way better pizza then the Sardellas we had last time. Lets get a roll call in the events thread on who all is going.

11. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber, 1970 Maverick Drag Car(sold)
    Set another best et today at Speedworld of 15.08 at 89.20 mph...:bananaman So close to the 14's I can taste it!

12. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Nice. Was some good cold air tonight.

13. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    Sweet Gene! Sounds like that extra cylinder really contributes!

14. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    Ok, so based on the fact that no one wants to attend (for various reasons), we will cancel going to Speedworld after the get together.

15. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Does anybody need a Carter (edelbrock) 600cfm manual choke carb? or a 3g alternator out of a 95 Mustang? I put some things on craigslist but would sell a a little cheaper to you guys.