Dizzy & Dielectric Grease

Discussion in 'Tool & Shop Talk' started by mojo, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I had a post on the subject of Dielectric grease on automotive electrical connections/contacts. The subject was kicked arnd in the thread "What Did U Do to Your Mav or Comet Today, pg 79 & 80".

Since writing that post I hve come to the discovery and conclusion that putting the grease on the rotor and cap points was a mistake.
    Jim "JSArnold", I believe had it right - post #797. It may be ok to put it on the center cap contact point only.
    The reason I am conveying this is because I had the car out Wednesday eve. and the car just died at a stoplight. A gud samatarian help me push the car out of the mainstream of traffic. The first thing I did was pull the dizzy cap and it was obvious the contacts had a buildup. I went to my toolbucket, got out a file, cleaned up the cap and rotor tip and the car kicked right off.

I had noticed the cap had a buildup on the contacts earlier this spring, and cleaned them up. The cap/rotor is 2yrs old but less than 4K miles - I have used caps/rotors much longer than that, back "in the day" B4 I put anything in them.
    I guess what im saying is: Im using them dry from now on and carrying spares.
    I saw something on the internet abt using dielectric in the caps, that's why I put it there. It may be gud for a lot of other things - but in the Dizzy - I think not - at least in mine.

2. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Just on the rotor button for me. Never heard anyone try to put it on points. Secondary side of ign. is ok due to the high voltage. Points...ah not so good as you learned. It would definitely kill the contact in the points. Connectors are OK cause they are desgined to have a nice tight fit and clean off the grease to make contact. With the points opening and closing the grease would insulate them. Surprised it even ran but I'm glad you got it fixed and it didnt strand you.
    You really should get rid of those points though. I figured you couldnt even buy them anymore.

3. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I guess I did'nt explain it clearly abt POINTS. I do not have ignition points. I have DSII, elec ign. I meant the contact points in the outer diameter of the Dist Cap. No more grease there.

4. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Nothing wrong with points, I'm still running them! :D
    Easier to troubleshoot than electronic stuff.
    A dab of grease on the rub block, set'em and forget 'em!
    May not be the best for performance, but they are still readily available, around here anyway. I will probably go with a Pertronix system one of these days, but they work, so why change it if it ain't broke?:D

I wouldn't think grease on the contacts of the dizzy would be a good idea. There is always that bit of dust from the spark eroding the terminals, and dust+ grease = no spark.

5. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Duraspark Repair says: "Silicone dielectric compound must be applied to all insulating areas of distributor, coil, and spark plug boots. Coat distributor rotor tip with dielectric compound to a thickness of 1/32". DO NOT use Silicone dielectric compound on multi-point rotor." and "Coat brass surface of rotor with silicone grease."

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    what was your thinking for putting it on/in the the dist. cap?

Frank

7. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick

LOL. OK I get it now. Grease on the points really had me wondering...

8. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Well Jeff! I read this post several times and it's confusing, at least it is to me. I guess Im having trouble distinguishing "GREASE frm COMPOUND.

1.) I take that to mean all plastic/rubber surfaces.
    2.) Put a minute' amt of dielectric compound 1/32 on tip of rotor where it contacts the plug terminals?
    3.) I have never seen a multi-point rotor.
    4.) Coat brass surface w/ SILICON GREASE?

5.) AREN'T THE BRASS SURFACE OF THE ROTOR AND ROTOR TIP - ONE IN THE SAME?

9. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Well, I seen something to that effect on a website. As u may have seen frm Jeffs' post there is suppose to be grease and/or compound in that area.
    I guess I just put to much, wrong grease or compound in the wrong places.
    Im carrying a spare setup and running it dry for the near future, but I will be checking it at least once a month to see what it looks like. Don't like being stranded. :cry:

10. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    The new stuff isn't near as good as the old stuff these days and true factory parts are getting harder to find as even the OEM's are using cheaply made stuff as replacements to compete with the aftermarket.

Jeff's spot on with the grease application. It's what we were taught many moons ago in a training center far, far away...