Does anyone sell Comfortweave material?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Corbin Johnson, Jun 22, 2004.

1. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Just talked to SMS ... what they are selling is FORD OEM Comfortweave ... not reproduction ... The person who answered thinks it's $85 per yard - the exact price quote will be included with the sample.

Talked to my upholstery Guy ... He wants $650 plus material to do both buckets and the rear seat. He also said figure on 3 to 4 yards of comfortweave being required.

Looking at a $1200 job .... :eek: :eek:

2. DJBerson

DJBerson Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 2-door
    I have used them before...

SMS is the best. Expensive or not, if you want the best spend the extra $$. You will not be sorry. So far I have used them for:

Gold naugahide upholstery for my 69 Pontiac Catalina convertible, and (with the help of a professional upholster) it came out like factory new.

Green OEM halo top for the Mav (yet to be installed)
    Green OEM headliner for the Mav (also yet to be installed).

Their fabrics were stored in a vacuum or something.

3. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Glad to hear .... Considering what I have in the rest of the car $1200 ain't that big of a deal ... and I do want it correct .... :)

4. DJBerson

DJBerson Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 2-door
    beading

FYI- You might want to ask them about beading too. Depending on what color your interior is, there may not be a comparable replacement beading material color available today. The one thing wrong about my Pontiac interior is that I used beading that matched the seatbelt/carpeting color because there was not anything close to 1969 gold naugahide color. Perhaps SMS can set you up with that too. It is too late for me....

5. rustybutterknif

rustybutterknif New Member

I've got comfortweave inserts that are black and white woven together to make a grayish looking color and I've even seen black and red in person can anyone tell me more about this and if sms has the fabric available. I called but no answer.

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Wow, thats a super old post, but anyhow.
    Maybe their on lunch @ SMS? I've dealt with them before, if you give them your interior code, they will send you smaples so you can match it to yours.

7. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    rusty,

Regarding the grey/white ... Is that 71 -73 Mustang Deluxe seat covers, because I have seen them and lusted after them .... but still not more than black comfortweave.

My first Comet had medium blue/dark blue/grey comfortweave bench seats and they were so comfy, I never changed them. I would have changed them to buckets in a heartbeat otherwise.

8. rustybutterknif

rustybutterknif New Member

Yes they are 73 Mustang seats. Supprisingly enough I have searched all of the Mustang related forums and have found nothing. So far this has been the only place that I have been able to verify that they even existed. herte's some pictures of the interior. BTW SMS does not have black AND white together They only have solid colors. I guess that If I want replacements I'll have to weave the fabric myself. http://rustybutterknife.com/DSCI0108.JPG
    http://rustybutterknife.com/DSCI0109.JPG
    http://rustybutterknife.com/DSCI0110.JPG
    http://rustybutterknife.com/DSCI0111.JPG
    http://rustybutterknife.com/DSCI0113.JPG

9. CaptainComet

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Those are Mach 1 seats.

I have seen the Deluxe seats in black and white = grey. The entire seat bottom and back are black and white, not just insets.

I have not seen that in Mach 1 seats, though. Very cool. And I have to say that I have spent waaaaaay too much time studying them. And I still want all black Comfortweave.

You need to keep bugging the Mustang parts vendors until you find these. If they have the Deluxe in that available as a reproduction seat cover, they ought to be able to come up with those.

I really like them .... :thumbs2: It is no wonder you want to duplicate them.

10. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I was just reading up in some Mustang catalogs this past week...
    On the seat cover pages they note that original deluxe comfortweave was 2 colors interlaced... (not just the white!)
    Anyway, all the repop covers are solid color.
    They specifically note that none are 2 color weave, but all the originals were, except black.

Edit:
    Got a bunch of Mustang catalogs at the show last weekend...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  11. CaptainComet

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Interesting that the originals were two colors of material woven together. Can't say that I have seen that repopped anywhere.

This thread made me walk out to the garage and take a closer look at some 73 Cougar buckets that I have. They are the Deluxe covers and I always thought they were just a straight brown. They are torn up and have lived under seat covers for years. Sure enough ... they are a light and a medium brown woven together. (y)

12. PWE

PWE New Member

Vehicle:
    used to have a 1966 Comet
    comfortweave available

I have some black comfortweave that I will sell by the yard. this is the real stuff not simulated.
    PWE

13. PWE

PWE New Member

Vehicle:
    used to have a 1966 Comet
    Keep trying at SMS. They are in Pacific time zone. Also Original Auto in Columbus Mi may have what you are looking for.
    PME

14. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Email sent

15. dmhines

Vehicle:

Those pictures of of SEBRING KNIT ... not Comfortweave .... here is Sebring KNit up close ...

[​IMG]