Dry Sump Oiling

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by groberts101, Oct 20, 2018.

1. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Probably a dumb question better aimed at more hardcore racing forums but I'll ask anyways since this site obviously caters to the actual cars I'm interested in seeing such an installation stuffed into.

Anyone here have or know of other forum members who run one in the Maverick or Comet chassis? I got skunked in my initial googling. Any relevant links or pictures would be much appreciated.

Thanks to anyone who can help further progress my search efforts,

Greg

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Now this is a first, you asking questions about something most people on here dont have a clue about. lol

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I'd think this chassis is close enough to the early Stang that most of that configuration would work, or at least be easily adapted.

Of course all the guys I know that beat on old Mustangs use a Canton, Moroso etc oil pan.

4. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Yeah, figured it was a bit of a longshot, Mike. Not too many higher end endurance racing type motors being built around here.

Kinda what I figured as well, Tom. I'm usually pretty hardcore with my studies, link saves, and several phone calls to mfgrs before laying out hard earned cash but Mustangs and early Falcons were all I could see that was even close to our cars engine bay real estate comparisons. Just didn't want to blindy spend the kind of stupid cash I'm on the verge of shelling out just to "see if it fits" this chassis's slightly narrower frame rails, is all.

Was going to wait till my aluminum stroker build was done before I bit this larger caliber bullet but at the rate I move to finish anything "fun project" related just figured money spent now is less money wasted later on. Main thing is I don't want to spend over 1K on nicer road race style aluminum pan(was going to trade up from my steel road race canton setup), windage control(screen and scraper) pumping from fancy hand ported/blueprinted and abradable powder coated oil pump only to have to toss it aside when I decide to chop my firewall up to move the motor back and down. It will take me longer to get the stock blocked mule motor situated but at least that work will be done when I switch motors in the next couple years. That's assuming nothing goes wrong and I don't crack the block before then. I have a special way of finding the next weakest part in the horsepower chain though. lol

This is the oil pan I've wanted to use for a long time now. Despite the price tag the biggest alure is its ability to act as a vac pump for low tension rings and enabling lowering of the motor for better handling and improved ground clearance. Far fewer hoses and lighter too.

https://www.daileyengineering.com/ford/ford-302/

Might go with this one since the oil supply line going to the block is on the same side but not too sure about steering component interference unless I move towards a front steer location rack and knuckle setup. Either side the pump goes on the car will be manual steer with only vac/scavange pump and alternator belts.

https://www.daileyengineering.com/ford/ford-302-modular-design/

Thanks guys,

Greg