Dumb question?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Jamie Miles, Dec 14, 2006.

1. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    I think those are 2 pc wheels, look on the back and see if there is a weld between the hoop and the center.

2. M.A.V.

M.A.V. Yep,my real initials.

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick,1966 Fairlane GT Pro Street
    I know that my old Crager SS wheels were Aluminum centers with steel rims and they were CHROME !!!!!

3. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Because I want shiney Torque Thrust II's and don't want to have to polish them once a month or clear coat them and have the clear coat yellow or fade out and start flakeing off in a year.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that you "have" to like the look of natural aluminum to have aluminum wheels. I don't like the look of dull aluminum. That is your opinion. I want Torque Thrust II wheels on my car because I like the style of them. The fact that they are aluminum is a mute point to me, and has nothing to do with my decision in chooseing those wheels.. Like I have already said, I can polish and clear coat the wheels myself for next to nothing, but that is not what I want. As far as I know, Torque Thrust II's aren't available in steel.

With them chromed, you get the look of polished wheels without the maintenance.

The wheels have no welds. They are a single piece of aluminum as far as I can see.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    You can polish and clear coat alum wheels and the clear coat WILL NOT yellow or flake off. I have a set on my station wagon that I did 4 or 5 years ago. The car sits out year round....but I don't run the wheels here in the winter. Get the kit from www.por15.com

5. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Left your lights on! :tiphat:

6. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Chroming them would be way expensive...and as stated, they likely won't guarantee them. They make the Torque Thrust D's in chrome. That would likely be cheaper anyway. But...I don't think I have seen them above 15 in. in size. Buff and clear coat them is probably the best option.

Seth

7. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Mike you are right about the Crager SS but I think if you look at the back you will see that the inner peice has been riveted to the outer ring, I thnik they chrome then assemble. I know there are places that will chrome but from that seam will all your problems arrise.

8. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
  9. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Here's a thought: Have the motorcyle place narrow the backside of the wheels to decrese the backspacing. That is a common thing a lot of the chopper shops do , building or modifiying wheels for custom bikes. As for keeping them shiny, once they are polished out, Summit sells a product called Zoops Seal, it is supposed to seal the finish on polished aluminum for a year or longer. I have never used it, but all the magazines were raving about it when it first came out.

10. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    My TT ll's were a 2 piece wheel and all the ones I've seen are 2 piece. There are knock off's that are 1 piece cast.

11. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    My bad... they are 2 piece. Been almost 8 or 9 months since I've looked at them, going by my pictures they looked like once piece. Just went and dug one out in my shed.