DuPont Ful-Thane? Paint ??'s

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by CACollo, Feb 24, 2006.

1. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    i kinda did what dan did.i painted, waited a week, wet sanded,waited a couple days then clear/pearl coated,one week later wet sanded and buffed.

2. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Dan & Dennis, I don't know where you are getting yout dupont or ppg from but I need your suppliers #'s. From what I've seen HOK is cheaper now than what I can buy Dupont at. I bought a pint of ford focus zinc yellow and the list price was $92 FOR A PINT! I didn't have to pay that much but it was still more than I want to pay.

CA, Dennis is right about a single stage and not sanding through the clear but I still like using BC/CC on all the paints I do. Metallics aren't that bad either, on the last coat open up your pattern/fan, turn up the pressure alittle more and back off alittle more distance from surface and let those metallics fly. As far as what you can spray in a garage, anything you can spray in a booth can be sprayed in a garage.

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I get 90% of my paint at our local O'Reillys. Longtime paint guy works there. I just paid $80.00 bucks for a QT of base for my truck I am working on. When I originally painted it years ago it took 1.5 gallons of unmixed paint to cover it. Just doing some spot painting on it now. Still estimating it will cost me $600.00 in materials to fix it. I remember when I used to figure a hunderd bucks for materials to paint an entire car. Days long gone.
    Dan

4. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Dan I know what you mean. Yeah depending on the color the cost can go right through the roof. Heck the good primer is about $160. a gallon and thats without the converter and activator. Alot of people still think in the good ole days, so any more I just tell them I'll do it for this much labor plus materials, then they can go buy their own or I'll get it and save the reciepts. People can't believe the cost of materials. It is like gas, it seems like it just shot up in the last few years.

Nick, just my opinion, but I don't care for alot of the HOK products, they seem soft like they never really get hard and durable. I do use their candy dyes and marblizers because no one else makes these yet. If you like the Tangalo I've got a color for you, I know because I love that Tangalo also.

5. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Ward, tangelo ROCKS!!!!!! What brand and color is like it? My favorite color is orange and that tangelo is the baddddest assssss orange I have ever seen. It would look awesome on my Mav. You would like seeing it when your looking at the rear of my car on the dragstrip.:D :D :D :D

6. htr701

htr701 Mavericker

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    House of Kolor I think is one of the best, along with Dupont. Their colors just are just amazing, and they have a high bar up on quality. I say if you are going to do a regular paint job Dupont is the way to go, they have some good long lasting stuff. But if you want to get crazy go with House of Kolor, they are the most popular in the customizing seen. House of Kolor is very good and even though it comes with a hefty price tag I think it is worth it. Oh and RM is pretty good and doesn't kill your budget. Any company will most likely be happy to do you up a custom color, just be prepaired to fork over some more money. Either way you go you can only go wrong if you skip on the prep work. Remember to sand as best you can and to try to be as clean as you can. Try and make the panel as straight as you can, and use the smallest amount of body filler as possible. It's also important to be loose when painting, don't just paint all stiff like somebody kicked you in the jewels, let your hand move and relax some. Its good to get a panel or two at the junkyard and sand them down and paint them, cheap paint will work, and just practice on it until you feel that your up to par. It's also a plus if you know anybody that paints, maybe then can show you some tips and tricks of the trade. Oh and if you do be any chance end up with a metallic color, make sure you sand your fingers to the bone, or you'll be able to see all the lines in the paint and that ruins it. Have fun and it'll shown when your done! Hope this helps.

7. perch

perch Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet gt
    guy's i work in a local o'reilly store in ark and am the paint mixer. i worked in a carquest store for 17 years and mixed and used dupont paint. most o'reilly stores that have ppg or omni paint have what we call a "prophet" that will take pics of paint on a flat clean piece of car part anf will formulate a formula. also you can use it to take pics of the house of color paint and make a single stage b/c. the store that i work at usually gets about $45 to $50 qt for h o k.