Dyno Don Scale Build

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Memorabilia' started by Mustang1989, May 13, 2020.

1. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    1994 Chevrolet 383 Silverado
    I've done a little work on the engine as well. Still waiting on some parts like the proper Dominator carburetors to go atop the high rise dual quad manifold. This engine will be getting a lot of details added in the coming weeks.

Here we are for now with a mock up ( keep in mind the carbs in the photos will not be the ones that I'll be using for the build-these are just there for effect)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and for test fitting the engine into the frame to check out header options, header to frame clearances and general fit..... so I don't damage or mess up any of the details that I'm building here I've got another 427 that came in a glue bomb Maverick that I got in the mail that's undergoing a restoration/ transformation.

[​IMG]

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Very cool joe...Love the cammers...

Mustang1989 likes this.
  3. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Watching this build brings back a lot of memories of when I used to build model cars, I never got quite as involved as you have but did run spark plug wires made out of sewing thread and drill out the exhaust pipes to make them more realistic and paint brake lines and frames to give it a little more detail.

I believe a lot of ratrods were made from left over models kits.

Mustang1989 likes this.
  4. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks Pete!!

5. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks Y75. That's funny about the thread for spark plug wires because I did the same exact thing. Over the years better materials took the threads place and other higher tech pieces started getting used. I build pretty much all the time now and have a complete blast at it. I've got a Revell 1/32 scale Maverick that I'm really looking forward to building as well. Although 1/32 is not my preferred scale to build in, trying to find a 1/24 or 1/25 scale Maverick to build in street form is proving tough to do unless I wanna crack out some MAJOR bucks for a promo model.

6. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Finished up the hood. Applying white over red was NOT an easy job to do. Fought the color bleed through thing all the way BUT....with alot of patience and TLC I got it! Once I got everything cleaned up paint border wise I shot a coat of Testors "Wet Look" clear over the whole thing. This photo here is after the clear had dried.

[​IMG]

Hotrock likes this.
  7. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    In starting on the interior...first off....I cannot STAND molded in foot pedals and I don't care for the ejector pin marks in all four corners of the flooring either. And they are like in painfully obvious and highly visible places. It's not "correct" but I had to modify the rear of the interior to move those slicks further inboard so they don't protrude outside of the rear fenders all crazy looking. I also had to modify the rear of the chassis alot (which I am still working on) for the same reason. Secondly, this kit is severely lacking in detail so I'm hoping to improve on that as time goes along here.
    A shot showing the OOB molded in pedals and flooring.

[​IMG]

another shot showing the interior mods a little clearer as well as those nasty ejector pin marks):

[​IMG]

We start the mod process by sawing off the foot board/ lower firewall area of the interior:

[​IMG]

and then after the new Evergreen floor and the "foot boards"rea were cut to fit and moved into place. There....much better. More to add to those floor panels later.

[​IMG]

Concerning the dash......I took a couple of liberties with it just to have at least a little fun. At this point in the build I still have the foot pedals to construct and put under it and to install a tachometer on the dash.t. Yes.....I left the radio in as well. If for nothing else...just for a little extra detail. I took Macro shots against my better judgement. With that being said, the blems that show up in this pic won't be seen by the naked eye.

[​IMG]

As for those foot pedals.....
    After robbing the foot pedal assemblies from the AMT 1967 Mustang kit, I cut the grossly over scale levers from the back of each pedal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I formed up the levers and made some mounts on the back side of the dash in which to "swing" the pedals with...

[​IMG]

I finished this part up this morning by painting the swing levers and pedals. Pedals are too clean so I'll be dirtying those up. I also darkened the steering wheel wood areas just a tad.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    stumanchu, M7A7V and Shorty like this.
  8. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Instrument panel is looking really nice...Love it. I hear ya on the int tub...One word Joe...JoHan...:huh:

Mustang1989 likes this.
  9. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks Pete. You know, it's a weird thing .....in some areas Jo-Han does really well like on the engine and the body but other areas like the interior and especially the chassis were a complete loss as far as accuracy and detail are concerned. Man....the chassis....[​IMG]

10. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    I know...dead nuts accurate bodies with bad mold seams. Super detailed engines that fit together poorly. That's what happens when you turn a promo into a full kit. Ever open up a JoHan and find its only a half shot?? (Incomplete body right out of the mold) That was a surprise!

Maybe I will start a "Show us your successful JoHan build" Thread on the forum...LOL...How many models do you think will show up???

Mustang1989 likes this.
  11. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    LOL!! Not on Jo-Han kits with the blem on the body but I did with an AMT Freightliner kit. Lower right hand side of the body near the drivers door was just.....missing.

That's not a bad idea on the Show Us Your Successful Jo-Han Build" thread.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  12. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    In continuing forward, I cut the rear and two side windows out of thin clear styrene and decaled the side windows up with racing stickers. Just waiting on those to dry so I can dunk 'em in some Future so I should be going in with those tomorrow it looks like.

Then came the moment I've been waiting for at the rear of the car. Upon close inspection of the deck lid you can see some lock studs, quick release pins and cables at the rear most corners of the lid. I received my lock pin set two days ago so I was able to get some progress done on that.

Reference shot:

[​IMG]

Progress so far. Still have to dot the 4 spots on each plate to simulate screws with some Molotow and add the cables later but here we are for now:

[​IMG]

13. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    Nice...who makes the lock pin set? I have been using the Detail master sets for years but your pins look really good with the nice rounded tip.

Mustang1989 likes this.
  14. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks Pete. I need to look again because I've forgotten. I'll get back to you pretty quick though.

15. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    You know fellas.....every once in a while you have to negotiate a TRUE hurdle in modeling. Sometimes it's paint, sometimes it's fit and sometimes it's things like I've been going through for the past week.....the assembly process. I've been building models for a long time and lemme tell ya.....nothing....I mean NOTHING has tested my patience and my abilities as a modeler as much as this aftermarket shifter from Futureattraction. To put it lightly...this shifter looks absolutely fantastic after it's all been put together. But therein lies the hurdle.....the assembly. At 26 pieces it is one of the most intricate PE items that I have taken on yet. I kid you not....I've got every bit of 7 hours wrapped up in this thing. I had half of it pieced together one morning after spending an hour + on it and the very next day upon picking it up to continue......it all came apart. Yeah....stuff like that and then being under the optivisor the whole time. Eyes hurt...got a headache...got pissed off......contemplated throwing stuff and I think I made up new curse words along the way . Feel free to contact me for the updated curse word list. Those that know these shifters will see some discrepancies and that this is not the shifter for this car.....I'm going to be ok with the way that it is and am more than happy to install this jewel into the interior of this car. For me it's just too sharp lookin' of a shifter to pass up.

I've still got to cut that one long pin off ( I'm leaving it in place to be able to work with it for shift rods install) and have just a little clean up left to go as far as glue smears but a little thinner and that'll go away. I felt a TRUE sense of accomplishment when I got up from the bench this morning and wanted to show that to you all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and just for a scale reference.....

[​IMG]

Maverick Dude likes this.