Dyno Don Scale Build

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Memorabilia' started by Mustang1989, May 13, 2020.

1. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    1994 Chevrolet 383 Silverado
    Thanks Stuart and for the "likes" fellas!

I just didn't like how the "magneto" on the engine looked and it wasn't "correct" for the build so I removed it and went with a regular coil. I also dirtied up the ignition wires as well.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

M7A7V, Mavman72 and Shorty like this.
  2. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    OK. So now I have to ask.....is that coil fabricated? I liked assembling models as a youngster. Watching you do this stuff makes me realize the adult form of modeling could re-kindle what made it fun as a kid....except you sir, are a little sick with it, but I like it.

Mustang1989 likes this.
  3. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for the kind comments Stu!
    I'm not the only one on here who's been around the block in modeling. Check with ol' Pete....aka Mavman72. That dude REALLY knows what he's doin.

If you're thinking about picking up modeling again lemme tell ya.....there's a WHOLE helluva lot more really cool stuff available these days for it. You'd definitely be surprised. Let me know if you're interested in learning more and I'll open a door for you.

4. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Been working on the fuel induction the whole week. I started out with the intake runners and plenum. Shot with the unpainted carburetors from Futureattraction:

[​IMG]

Then I shot a coat of Tamiya X-31 Titanium Gold on 'em, filled in the throttle bores with some flat black and assembled them

[​IMG]

Then came a dark brown acrylic wash, allowed to dry and followed up with a dry brushing of ground up black pastel to flatten it all out and add some "age" to them.

I took a comparative pic of both carbs. One on the left is with the wash and pastel treatment and the one on the right is without it.

[​IMG]

And with both carburetors painted and "weathered". Now.....it's time to add the details.

[​IMG]

Mavman72 and Shorty like this.
  5. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Once the fuel lines and the throttle levers got added I installed the carburetors on top of the intake and test fit the whole assembly to the top of the manifold. The engine takes on a whole new appearance with everything now together.

[​IMG]

Hotrock and Shorty like this.
  6. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    Very nice! That set of headers just doesn't seem big enough for that engine.

Just my observation.

Mustang1989 likes this.
  7. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks a million for the comments HR! There are a few things that won't add up here and there but in this case not much of the headers will be seen on the finished model and they are about the only ones that would fit without a total remod on them. lol

8. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Throttle linkage is around 90% complete. Still gotta and the levers from the firewall to the throttle quadrant (that still has to be added as well) and from the quadrant up to the carburetors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shorty likes this.
  9. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    So far it seems that everything is going to work. Just gotta get those inner fenders / shock towers in now and we're home free for the final assembly phase. This is EXACTLY what I was shooting for. The only thing that has me bothered is an excessive angle on the engine. I've got a couple of ideas to iron things out a bit. On the home stretch now....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M7A7V and Shorty like this.
  10. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the "likes" fellas!

Just a little closer today but it's taken a whole lot of work to get this far. I had to re-do the throttle linkage twice at the intake manifold to take care of some weird throttle linkage rod issues but have it all straightened out now. Also added a throttle return spring on the linkage and a PE radiator cap for that extra little bit of detail. I'm having to re-visit the hood closing issue but it shouldn't be too hard now after correcting the intake manifold height. A little sanding here and there under the hood scoop area and it'll be A-OK.

[​IMG]

Shorty and Hotrock like this.
  11. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    Thank you Shorty and HR for the "Likes" along the way. Well fellas.....the time has come for this baby to be wrapped up and sent home. I've really had alot of fun and learned alot about scale modeling over the course of the last year with this build. A BIG thanks go out to all who have either peeked in on or commented and supported me over the last year. I've got two other Maverick builds in the stash so the fun continues onward in the foreseeable future with another Maveick build.
    I've started another thread for the completion under the following link:Jo-Han 1/25 scale Dyno Don Maverick 1 Year Project-Finished | Maverick/Comet Forums