Electronic ignition for 250?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by fullcm, Sep 4, 2018.

1. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    Has anyone installed an electronic ignition in the 250cid?
    Just wondering some basics like it is worth it? What kind of improvements are seen? Best brand?

Thanks.

2. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...
    Mid 70's 250's should already have Ford electronic ignition with the OEM Duraspark DS-II setup or earlier DS-I setup. For early points' 250, you can use the later OEM DS-II distributor and Ignition Module which is a direct swap. The DS II will work with any 170,200 or 250 after @ 65 when the Distrib block casting size and oil pump/drive shaft size changed.

A popular option is to use the Ford Duraspark distributor with an aftermarket 'trigger' module box like Mallory/MSD or a simple GM HEI module can give good performance. Only mod for early cars is the ignition modules require full 12V not resistor supplied B+ used for points/coil.

Duraspark with HEI module wiring diagram:[​IMG]

HEI/DSII on Supercharged Maverick 250

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

250 '61 Comet TriPower W/GM HEI module:
    [​IMG] . [​IMG]

have fun

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    fullcm likes this.
  3. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    ok, thanks. Just ebay or a junkyard probably for the DSII setup?

4. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...

Most auto 'box stores' have the DS-II distributor and modules available if not in stock and Summit/Jegs also Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARROW-55-2...426258?hash=item43c4bb6cd2:g:mcUAAOxydlFS4Cw1

There are a few vendors selling a Ford compatible distributor withthe HEI module already built into it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-INLIN...793081&hash=item51b486fcf4:g:XaUAAOSwvtFZvDhQ

https://www.summitracing.com/search...6-cylinder?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

fullcm likes this.
  5. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    If you want to keep a points distributor, I think the GM 4 pin module or the ford TFI remote mounted module will work. Google "Go fast for less".

Attached Files:

6. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    The ford manual specs the plug gap at 0.032-0.036". Does it always need to be opened up to 0.045" when switching to electronic as shown in your diagram ?

7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Gap should be increased because the electronic ign delivers more energy.. Bigger, hotter spark better ignites fuel.

In early years of electronic ign, mfgrs were specing .060-.080(mostly a GM spec). Within a couple years plug wires were burned up, soon figured out extra wide gap caused more issues than it fixed.

stumanchu likes this.
  8. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    I think I set mine at .042. When I switched from points to point triggered TFI, I noticed my engine ran smoother, the exhaust seemed less noxious, and a cold start (no choke) was much, much easier. I carry a spare module in my glove box even though I dont expect failure. I also used a TFI coil from the junkyard, and swapped the end on my coil wire to make the connection. I got the correct wire end at the junkyard too. I like one stop shopping. I used the existing power lead for my old coil to turn on (via solenoid) the 12V from the battery that powers the module and the coil.

Krazy Comet likes this.