Engine Compartment Color

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by stuart, Jan 8, 2007.

1. maverickdvm

maverickdvm Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Mav 393C super gas car(work in progress), 72 2-door Mav 351C street/strip 1/4 mile car, 70 Grabber 302 pure stock drag project, 72 Grabber 351W, 74 4 dr Comet 302, 70 Grabber 300i6 project, 69.5 200i6 Stock, 71 Grabber 302 Stock
    Since we have this conversation once in a while, I have been paying attention to it more when looking at Mavericks, especially original unpainted ones. One thing that I found interesting was that on my '70 Grabber the engine compartment is painted black, but the yellow body color is underneath the black paint. In spots where that thin black paint has worn through, the yellow shows up very clearly to match the body. That may be why some earlier models that "should" have black engine compartments are actually thought to be body color. Just a thought.

Sarah

2. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    My 70 is the same way, black engine bay but with Grabber Blue underneath. Shows up when I get a chip in the black paint. The firewall is covered with some type of rough undercoating, as were the wheelwells, suspension, and the whole underside. And yes, that's the way it came from the factory.

3. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I never really thought about it, but that makes perfect sense.
    The unit body was painted in 'bulk' so to speak, when the cars were built.
    Meaning that they got doused in paint one after the other.

So it would be a very ineffective assembly line technique to paint the engine bay of the unit body a different color at that time or paint half in that dousing process.
    They surely did Stangs the same way... paint the unit body, then somewhere else down the line, run a spray gun with semi-flat black over the already painted engine bay.

I am sure, since the Mav was supposed to be the 'rebirth' of the 65 Stang, they painted the first ones black, just like Stangs. However, being so inexpensive a car, they probably stopped to cut costs.

Dave

4. 1972CometGT

1972CometGT 2.3T worshiper

I'm building weapons of mass acceleration!
    Vehicle:
    Comet GT - Dark Green w/black stripes baby!
    :rofl2:

I have a late January/ February 1 delivered Comet GT...engine bay is body color