Engine noise

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Hairy W Bush, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Hairy W Bush

Hairy W Bush Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
  2. Miguel Arzola

Miguel Arzola Member

Vehicle:
    1975 maverick Grabber
    Hard to describe what the noise in your video. What I would do is get a 3/4 heater hoes about 3 ft long and place one end of the hoes to your ear and the other end pass it along the oil pan to try to pin point the noise, poss race pin ? or poss your oil pan is bent, and the connecting rod is hitting the pan ? The hose is an old school method but you wont miss. Good luck...

3. Hairy W Bush

Hairy W Bush Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    the only bends are on the bottom, but they seem to be deep. I guess it's possible. I have a heater hose too

4. Hairy W Bush

Hairy W Bush Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    I think you're right. I took a better look at the oil pan and it looks like the rods are re-bending it. I DID jack up the engine by the pan while the car was down using a block of wood but i guess it wasn't big enough. here's some pics. IMG_20151127_215354[1].jpg IMG_20151127_215408[1].jpg IMG_20151127_215354[1].jpg IMG_20151127_215408[1].jpg IMG_20151127_215546[1].jpg

for some reason the camera's not showing what I believe to be a huge bend that was there since the day i got it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Not your problem, rods are at least 8" above the bottom of the oil pan... They do not under any circumstances contact oil...

Static likes this.
  6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    was this noise there before or is this a first run engine? could be the baffle in the pan.

7. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    On the shallow end of the oil pan on a 302 or 351W the crank comes very close to the bottom of the pan. If for some reason (it can be done) you twisted the rear of the pan deforming it, the crank will hit the pan. You should be able to feel the crank hitting the pan toward the rear. The crank will put a nice little gouge and eventually a hole in the pan.

8. Hairy W Bush

Hairy W Bush Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    was never there till we noticed it after the exhaust. it MIGHT have been after i first started it with open headers and after i got done jacking the engine up for some work i was doing and i just didnt hear it. but no never heard this noise before.
    i'm going to use the hose like miguel said and see. but in the pics you can see little dots poking out like something is trying to clear.
    edit: i just used the hose method and the noise is a lot more prevalent in the rear of the pan. you can really hear it like like it's hitting tin.

9. Miguel Arzola

Miguel Arzola Member

Vehicle:
    1975 maverick Grabber
    Hi good Saturday I see your pictures and see the bottom of the pan..the dots coming from inside the pan. if I was you I drop the pan to inspect the bottom of the engine, chest to be on the safe side .and prevent major damage .you have good reply's from the tread any reply help .to make better decisions. Good luck

10. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    I get where you think the sound is coming from. Being you jacked the car up from under the pan, its probably the reason for the racket...But... If you just had an exhaust system put on...Make sure its not the pipes hitting somewhere, OR an exhaust leak at the manifolds collector (Where the pipe bolts to it) I have seen/heard exhaust leaks make some pretty unusual sounds. Every thing from chirping birds to a tin can full of nuts/bolts. So check carefully before you tear into it. Good luck!!!

11. Hairy W Bush

Hairy W Bush Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    I checked the pipes and they seem clear to me. I felt around the headers and collectors and no air is shooting out. I went to the rod run down here and picked up a new pan so I'm going to get that in soon. someone told me a way to temp. fix the problem so I will try that too.

Miguel Arzola likes this.
  12. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    how do you "temp" fix a problem when you don't know what the problem is...:huh:

Ronald Hopkins and mojo like this.
  13. Hairy W Bush

Hairy W Bush Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    if you follow it seems to be down to the pan. but i can't even do that on this car so I'll just wait till i get some time to swap pans.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  14. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Maybe it's just me here, and I certainly can't claim to have even come close to.. "seen it all", but it would seem that if there is no obvious and/or pronounced damage to this pan?.. then you have something else going on INSIDE the pan that can't be "temp fixed". Without even going out to look at the one on my stand, I'm pretty sure that if the pan was distorted enough up near the back end to be able to come in contact with this little short stroke rotating assembly?.. you'd have also distorted the pans mounting rail enough to cause some leakage or noticeable deformation. But you didn't support it there anyways so how could it be damaged in such a strong area?

From the pic's I saw above, you're not even close to having too much damage on that deep end. The only major issue that could be caused by jacking against the front sump/deep end, well.. besides distorting the rail and crushing the gaskets to promote future leaks, would be smashing the pans bottom up high enough to starve the oil pump pickup. Any closer than about 1/4" clearance between the oil pump pickup and the pan bottom and you risk ending up with very low oil volume capabilities. Especially when fully revved under heavy load(fun time). The pressure can remain high at idle to mask the issue and the lifters may never get pissed off enough to ever collapse all the way.. but you are doing major and irrevocable damage to the bearings in you engine. Oil cavitation(hydraulic jack-hammering of steel and iron) caused from poor oil supply can actually break the pump too. Parts also get overheated, move away from proper tolerances, and bearings lose crush. If you had an oil pressure gauge inside the car then all this would be very easy to see. The condition and metal content of the used oil will also help paint the picture from the outside looking in.

Unless maybe you get lucky and there's simply a cracked/bent baffle? Unfortunately, too much metallic ruckus over even shorter time frames quickly leads to metal in the oil. No temp fix for that either.

I'd get that pan off asap so I could actually visually inspect and measure things. Good luck with it.

Krazy Comet likes this.
  15. Hairy W Bush

Hairy W Bush Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    thanks for the reply. a possible method mentioned to me would be to hit it from both sides but like i said it's not happening. my oil gauge is reading kinda low. I figure while it's out I'll replace that too. i am going to do this within the next couple weeks. I've never broken into a 302 so is this really invasive with other gaskets such as the timing cover?