ever heard this?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Jap901, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Jap901

Jap901 Member

Vehicle:
    71 mav 2 door
    The guy i bought a 73 mave from told me the mave has a 8" rear and he could make it hook both tires up by rolling in rev first to lock both axles in b4 lunching forward he has L60 14 tires on it and said he had to replace the drive shaft with a heave duty one because he was twisting the stock ones.

Is it true you can roll in rev to lock both axle in?

2. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    someon else might be able to answwer this better....but it sounds like a old circle track trick guys used to do...

3. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    im not much of one as a mechanic but what ive learned is by doing that you tear up you rear end faster and/or shred your spider to peices. just what i was told by my brother. besides after a while wouldnt it get expensive replacing u joints

4. Kilg0re

Kilg0re Doh!

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    All that does it make your rear end like mine.... Everything is at the bottom and doesn't move :) I never did the rev. thing in my car but I have in others and it did seem to Have them both spin for a split sec. but it did not make it stay like it was posi.

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I used to hear that back in the 60's. Didnt work then either. Sometimes some open rears will spin both tires but its extremely hard to get them to do it.

6. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Its not that hard. My Car does it h a 3.00 open:bouncy: You just need the right motivation like 350 plus horses. If the damn cold winter would et up I got another real posi to stick back in though.....

7. qicvick

qicvick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    I had a friend that had a 65 mustang that that he would do the back up deal ,claimed it had a detriot locker rear end, I never ? it until now you got me wondering!

8. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    dont do it unless youre changing your rear end & tranny

9. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Not a good idea.
    It is just binding the spiders for a second.

On another post:
    The Detroit locker is locked all the time in forward motion.
    It doesn't require such trickery to work.

Dave

Btw: The spider gears are the absolute weakest part in our rears, so if the PO hadn't destroyed them yet, you have the burden of having a 'beat' part on your car. You might be repairing the rear before long over just what he was bragging about.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  10. Todd

Todd Mavchanic

Vehicle:
    blue 70 two door
    turn left and then tell me its hard to get both spinning!! lol

somewhere i read that the reason that the right wheel is usually the one to spin is because of the rotation of the driveshaft and everything in the rear forcing the left wheel down and right wheel up making less pressure on the right wheel.

I thouht what if i turned left and floored it. when the car leans to the right it lifts the left to offset the pressure from the rotating mass torque, i have no idea what you call it, pushing it down and the left turns however the rotation still is lifting the right tire. I know my rear is bone stock open 2.79 but that thing left two lines in perfect circles.

I know, Im a dumb 18 year old and am probably breaking things, but thats why God blessed me with an 18 year old back to fix what i break.

Sure is fun though.

-Todd:)

I was challenged by my friends m3 to a burnout/donut contest. the back of my car stayed surprisingly level, and the 255s sure did put out a lot more smoke than his bmw and of course the people there called me the winner cuz mine was cooler lololol. Take that new technology. about five minutes after, i looked down the street a little bit and there was smoke coming out of the sewer down the street. it was great. okay im done. lol

11. qicvick

qicvick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    As a side note ,if you ever get stuck and one tire is spinning you can put your emergency brake on and both back tires will spin, I know this true because I have done it!

12. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    I heard if you put heavy oil and a hand full of 1/4-20 nuts in it would be just like a posi :D

13. Jap901

Jap901 Member

Vehicle:
    71 mav 2 door
  14. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    Only if you say the chant that comes in the Camaro owners handbook.:biglaugh:

15. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Jr. mbr. not really,

Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, EFI, C4, Posi
    TODD got it right. It's motion dynamics that causes the right rear wheel to rise taking grip off the tire.
    As the drive shaft makes the pinion try to climb the ring gear, the spring suspension allows the full axle to raise on the right side.
    What is often done is install an air bag on the right side to pre load for the condition.
    Having a posi dosn't gaurrentee there will be equal traction at all times.
    I nearly smacked the concrete wall head-on with my car on the 1 to 2 shift right side traction brake away. So even when your well on you way it can still happen even with an AOD automatic. Quicker than you can blink an eye.;) I was able to save it.