Filling TC question

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by satchelmcqueen, Apr 10, 2019.

1. satchelmcqueen

satchelmcqueen Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    This is for a c4 250 trans and TC.

Ive read to fill the TC with 2 quarts of fluid before assembly. I also want to install engine and trans together as a unit.

Will tilting the engine and trans to the extreme when sliding into the engine bay, will any of the TC fluid leak out? I've never done this before with an auto trans and want to be sure. Thanks!

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    You can purchase tailshaft "plugs" which slides onto the output shaft of your transmission to prevent any fluids from leaking all over the place or you can remove the yoke from your driveshaft and use that, just secure it so if does not slide off when you are installing your engine/tranny...........also plug up the speedo drive hole too!
    David

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tail-Shaft...878953?hash=item487ca5b169:g:8u0AAOSwnDxUkiYp

3. satchelmcqueen

satchelmcqueen Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    No what I mean is....will the fluid in my torque converter leak out? Or does it all mix together anyway? Wasnt sure if tilting it would cause me to lose the TC fluid.

4. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    You'll be fine, it all circulates through the trans and converter. It doesn't take long after start up to get oil where it needs to be.

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Don't fill the converter, a quart is plenty, fluid will then stay in converter.

When checking fluid level on cold transmission(set over night), reason it's over full is because fluid has drained from converter.

satchelmcqueen likes this.