Filling the holes ... experimentation ..

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by dmhines, Oct 17, 2005.

1. A_Bartle

A_Bartle Stallion Dreamer

Vehicle:
    1976 Yellow 2-door Maverick
    Dan,

I have to say that I'm still impressed how you manage to get such nice results out of rattle cans, especially on such large areas (such as your hood you did earlier). Now you say your going to rattle can "sections" and blend them in, I would never attempt that, but I'm sure you will have great success. I can't wait to see your results. Thanks again for sharing this experiment with all of us. It has generated a lot of interest and opinions, and that is what this forum is all about!

Art

2. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    I would have welded the holes shut and painted the whole car with the cans. The hood is already done and the roof is gonna be covered so it would not have taken that much more paint or time to do it all and get it over with. I'm not saying your not doing a great job, cause you are. I'm kind of curious how that filler is gonna hold up. Thanks for the pics. Your making great progress.

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I'm confident this method will last several years until I have the cash for a professional paint job on the car. I'll have them weld the holes closed whenever that is done ...

4. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Diesel Doug, the Rattle Can Maverick Man...:D

5. FoMoDave

FoMoDave Maverick Owner

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 c-4,1971 Maverick 6cyl
    I posted on this subject a long time ago and all I got was weld, weld ,weld. Of course that is the best way to go but for a short term ,low cost fix epoxy will work OK. Lead filling is also a very good fix (if done right). There are some industreal strength epoxys that are stronger that steel when cured. Just like anything else its all about how one goes about a repair that determines the rusults. If some one said they were going to spay cans to paint their car what would you say .......