Finnish '74 Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by FinnMav, Jul 24, 2018.

1. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Thanks, Im still waiting info from another seller. Ill let you know.

2. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Hi guys !

I havent been updating my project because nothing really has happened. Ive been waiting my parts to arrive from US and I just heard that they didnt have packed that container yet, so it might take a while before I get my parts here in Funland.

I was considering to modify my engine (302) but luckily I found a one that has been already done. It is a 302 w, that comes out of a ´95 GT Mustang. Its heads is ported and valves done a little bigger, cylinders are honed, piston rings are new, all bearings are new, has a better cam etc. etc. Has been dynotested and has approx. 300 hp /w injection and mustangs original exhaust, which I believe is not the best in the market.
    Im going to put in a Edelbrock dual plane intkake and Edelbrock 650cfm vacuum carb, headers and fairly open exhaust.

I think it might improve performance.

Ill add some pics when I have that engine at home, shouldnt take more than 2 weeks.
    -Finn

3. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    IMG_20181123_232659.jpg IMG_20181123_232731.jpg
    Hi guys! Can someone tell me that where these wires should go or what for they are? Both of them are melted and they come from the same way as coil wires come.

4. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Finally got some time to lower front end. I cutted 1 and a half round of coil and it came down about 3 inches. I have 15" wheels on now but im thinking to swap them on 17" or 18". Ill have to check that stance with them, cant go too low.

I also plugwelded those trimming mounting holes. I wont be painting car for the next summer but I want to do all bodywork at this winter. Have you saved your sidemarkers? Im thinking to plug them also.

Also got my new engine. Its a 95' 302 windsor, rollerblock. Has about 300 hp in it.

Oh and my shocks are done, kaputt, finish, done. Not working.
    I would like to install adjustable shocks in front and in rear. Can you recommend me something? Is QA1 decent ones?

Attached Files:

5. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    I would not eliminate the side markers. You might consider painting the chrome around the markers body color. That is what was done to mine when the car was painted. There are two pictures in my Garage posting of the painted markers. Click on the link below if you are interested in viewing them.

mojo and FinnMav like this.
  6. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Thanks for the tip, Hotrock ! I think ill do just like you said. It looks good.

Nice comet there, btw!!! :bowdown:

7. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I plan on running QA1 on mine, problem is there is no listing for the rear on a Maverick/Comet. There is an option though, the 64 Galaxie has the same mounts and is very close in extended and compressed lengths.

8. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    I found something from here: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/ford-maverick-qa1-shocks~111-54-687-10048-16-566-7556

Do you know anything about Viking shocks ? They sell them on ebay and it looks like ok by price. Other than that I dont know...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-War...h=item2eec9c059d:g:0v8AAOSw~oFXF6iZ:rk:9:pf:0

9. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    The only shocks in that search that will fit are the fronts. Mavericks have an eye at the top and a stud at the bottom. The stroke is also important, too short or long and the shock will be outside its designed operating range.

I don't mnow much about Viking but have seen plenty of people buhing them. Probably a good product.

10. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
    You might talk to John Dinkel, owner of Open Tracker Racing:
    Opentracker Racing Products, LLC
    P.O. Box 252
    Carmel Valley, CA 93924
    Ph/FAX - (831) 659-0688
    www.opentrackerracing.com

I have his suspension on the front of my Maverick and recommend them.

Bruce

11. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Thanks, I will look in to this!!

12. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Had a few hours sparetime so I decided to do some bodywork.
    Rear quarterpanel needed some patching, inner wheel well (?) was also a little crispy.

Patched them and hurried back home. While daughter was sleeping I found a cheap place buy new shocks; Rockauto.
    I was considering to install adjustable shocks but then I thought it might be too stiff to drive. So I ordered a KYB shocks that few people recommended online.

Hopefully they are firm enough and not too much....

Attached Files:

13. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Project is going forward. Lately ive been doing disassembly; pulled out motor and tranny. Motor has already been sold and I ordered a master rebuild kit for C4. I know a local guy who can fix it up with little costs.
    I also took out the enginebay wirings. My co-worker promised to fix them. It has been a little miracle that the car hasnt burned already. Pretty shady connections there! I think im going to put them in a sleeve.

Today I welded the bottom for a battery tray. It was quite a mess before. Patches and somekind of sealant adhesives. It came out ok now.BTW I have to mention that im in love. In my mig welding machine!! If you need a good mig, buy a Kemppi. I bought a new one few months ago and it really was a gamechanger :bouncy: Im not a pro welder but with this mig, even I can do a decent seam :redface:
    In next few weeks im planning to sand enginebay and paint it. Color will be satin black. Motor is black also.
    I also bought a satin black ceramic coating for headers. I just need to blast them first.

Here in Finland is still a winter, today was - 21 celsius at morning. Im in no rush to get mav on the road with these weathers!! :grumpy:
    A few photos for you and a couple questions too:
    You might know what is that little "mystery box" with that little red button on it?
    And what do you think about these wheels? In my eye they seem modern enough and simple. Im thinking maybe 17" or 18". They are XXR 555. I might need some help with them......

IMG_20190313_203457.jpg IMG_20190313_203416.jpg IMG_20190313_203825.jpg Screenshot_20190311_195322.jpg

14. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    You better have some real fine looking disk brakes behind those wheels, there is a lot of exposure.

15. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    You have a really good point there. I need to think this again....