Finnish '74 Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by FinnMav, Jul 24, 2018.

1. William623

William623 Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    74 only starter override switch.

2. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    I presume it works automatically? What does that little red button do?

3. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Yesterday was a good day. I got the enginebay paint removed mainly. Today i need to re-seal those sheetmetal seams, that was sealed when the car left at the factory. Then its just cleaning and a new paint. After that its time to put in new lower arms and joints and stuff like that. I have a kit for that.
    I also have a set for power steering. Since this is my first Ford, i dont know if I have all the things to build that. Is there something I need to change or is it just adding pieces? Is there a list somewhere that tells what I need?
    For some reason, my phone wont let me add photos now. Ill add them later...

4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Do you mean you're adding P/S?

If so you swap this.

[​IMG]

For this.

[​IMG]

5. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Yes, swap is the word I was looking for :p

Do they sell these as a set / kit? I have some parts that came with car, when I bought it. They look like....hmmm....old and is missing some parts.I think it would be wise to buy a new set.

This P/S swap is one thing, that I will do in the future. Maybe next winter.

Here´s some pictures from this weekend...

Also a picture relating to power steering. This is what came with the car. Are they relevant at all?

IMG_20190330_161048.jpg IMG_20190329_203429.jpg IMG_20190329_203252.jpg IMG_20190329_203322.jpg IMG_20190329_203330.jpg IMG_20190330_203057.jpg IMG_20190330_203110.jpg IMG_20190330_203324.jpg

6. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    WoW, you be getting after it. That's what it takes to produce nice results.

You have pump and center link with valve & pitman arm. Basically are some of the harder parts to find as center link and pitman arm are specific to Maverick. The inner and outer tie rods and idler arm should be same with or without P/S.

Chockostang, sells complete conversions for Mustang & Torino, maybe Maverick.

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/

I rebuilt the Torino system pictured, used it for conversion on my Cobra Jet. Luckily I saved a couple systems from cars I'd parted, no chance I was going a different route. Excepting for center link and idler arm, it's basically same system as on my Comet(I rebuilt that one as well).

Since you are lacking some of the parts, you may want to think about a Borgerson conversion, no experience but a few here have installed that unit. AFAIK, only fits with automatic and floor shifter. Basically consists of new steering gear, hoses & pump. The manual linkage is retained.

BTW Your other bracket is mount for A/C compressor.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Hotrock likes this.
  7. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Thanks for this info Krazy!
    I sent email to chockostang, lets see what they have.

A/C is also on my to do-list, since it was originally a A/C car. Summers here in Finland can also be pretty hot...

8. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Krazy Comet likes this.
  9. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
  10. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Am I wrong or can I use that pump I already have? Then I would need only that gearbox + hoses.

11. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I converted to the Borgeson a few years ago; my car was factory PS. I eliminated all of the leaking plumbing under the car, and the noisy whining pump. I had the OE pump rebuilt a few years before doing the conversion, but, it would not stop whining. The price is a little high by many standards; but, when you consider several aspects of the conversion -- it may be worth it. When you consider the price of complete OE rebuild the cost may not be much more for the Borg and you get rid of all the hardware under the car.
    I got the entire kit; I believe you can use most any pump -- best to consult Borg on what issue you may have w/ a certain combination.
    I has issue w/ my pressure hose being to short and eventually had local shop custom make a longer hose.

12. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Thanks Mojo!

I dont understand all english words and now Im little confused with the column. I have a steering column, wich has a disabled gearstick (currently has a floor shifter for C4). Do I need to modify it somehow and is it how difficult to do?

13. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    There is some information I posted when I started the process in 2015.
    If you have floor shift, you should have no problem w/ column. The column needs to be shortened approximately 37mm and the rag joint fits very close to firewall. I used the PS drag link, but, if you have the non-PS link that's better, you won't need the adapter that replaced the control valve.
    Depending on your mechanical skills , not to difficult too do. You may want to look at this thread to get some kind of idea what I did -- others may have another approach but this worked for me.
    http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/borgeson-steering-upgrade-in-process.103959/

14. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Thanks again! I checked out that thread and oh boy, did you have some challenges there!!

Im just unable to decide, what to do at this point: if I continue with manual steering for now, I have to do it next winter and have allready planned to paint the car on next winter. As it requires a engine remove and so on, it will take time and that I dont really have( 1 little kid and another one on its way...). Second option is to order that borg set now and do it this summer, which means that I will miss this season for good. Again, dont have enough time to build for this summer.
    Duh..... :cussing:

15. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Congrats on the youngin'.

Maybe I don't have the facts correct but if you detail engine compartment and engine, it's not really necessary to pull it apart to repaint body. Yes will require careful masking to prevent over spray on engine etc. P/S can be added at any time, though no doubt would be far easier to install the Borgerson system without engine. A word of caution though, be sure there are no interference issues before reinstalling engine.

As far as leaks in original P/S, after almost five years, none in Comet system I rebuilt. Pump does weep slightly around the reservoir. I made mistake of thinking the fairly fresh Cardone rebuild would be OK(at least it's quiet). No leaks in Cobra system after two years(March '17), including pump I resealed.