Flat black

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mavtricks71, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I was just pointing out that it stands to reason that whatever shade of black they used for one Ford in one model year, the other Fords of that year had the same shade used on the same parts.
    Example, if a 72 Stang tail panel was a shade of black... then Mavericks and Torinos (and others) used the same shade of black on their tail panels that year.
    Also, I know, on Stangs anyway, all the blackouts, spoilers, and engine bays were the same shade of black between the parts.
    And, if you ordered your Stang in a non-standard color, you got the same shade of black on your sport mirrors.
    The sport mirrors were painted totally separately, then delivered to the assembly line, so a special order paint could not be put on the mirrors.
    The mirror line was only set up to paint standard colors. FWIW...

2. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Dave, you misunderstood my question. I was wanting to know if the bottom sides of 73-74 Grabbers were gloss or semi flat, and did the tail panel match the sides, or was it different? I'm toying with some paint ideas for my car, the reason I want to know....

3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    What you need to do is buy an NOS black tail light housing, and match it to that.

4. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Fords semi-gloss black paint was generally 60 percent gloss.Engine compartments/spoilers/tail panels/grills/mirrors all got the same semi-gloss black paint regardless of what or where it was on the car. If it was semi-gloss it was 60 percent gloss.Your painter can mix it up how you want... tell him you want 60 percent gloss.He will add a dulling agent to the gloss black to achieve the desired appearance.Dont use a flat paint it will stain/discolor/show wax etc...as stated allready...Good luck.

5. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    But when do you know when it's 60% and not 40%. Does anyone out there have a 100% original panel that isn't faded to match it to?
    The Dupont link I gave has a semi-gloss paint ready to spray. I doubt you can find anyone that can tell you what % gloss it is. If they can, I'd like them to explain the process to me. You don't have to experiment with different amounts of flattening agent to get it how you want and it doesn't dull out over time like a lacquer based paint...which I've tried before. Most of these flattened out paints just don't hold up to the ultraviolet sun rays for very long. My louvers have been in the sun quite often over the last 4 years and the finish looks as good as it did the day I sprayed it. You don't have to try it if you don't want. You asked for my thoughts so here they are. Good luck to you whatever you try. (y)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  6. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Excellent point Ray(y)I allways just went with a full gloss black and added dulling agent untill it "looked" like 60 percent of its original gloss to me.Its all subjective...As for durability I agree that its longevity is hit or miss depending on exposure/weather etc...If you need a good example of the original semi-gloss appearance look at a spare tires rim from one of your mavs.Thats the original appearance of the semi-gloss black if its a plain steel wheel.Spares in the trunk tend to hold up better than other components since they dont get the weather/exposure the rest of the car gets,and the paint tends to be very good on the rim.:tiphat:

7. mavtricks71

mavtricks71 Member

i Looked at Prices ....Original Grabber on Dan Hines site.....his panel nis original and seems very flat black to me.

8. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Wouldn't this just be the easiest way? I've seen NOS black ones on Eaby from time to time, at you would think Ford would make them to match.

9. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    It certainly would be Dave.But if you dont have access to one the spare tire rim is a good source.

10. mavtricks71

mavtricks71 Member

i actually do have an NOS black taillight ....it seems semi gloss, we painted the car today...i opted for Flat flat black! i really like that dull look, to me it seems More muscle carish.....thanks for everybody chiming in!!

11. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    My 70s tail panel and hood came with Ultra Flat Black, seems to be the only year it was used. Very rough texture. Under the hood was Flat Black.

12. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    The textured flat black paint used to be called "organosol" was used on mopars...AAR Cudas used it on the fiberglass 6 Pack hoods.Looked like flat black non skid... I dont recall if its still available or manufactured under a different name/brand.You can buy texturing material that you add to your paint media.Its used mostly for repainting textured plastic panels/bumpers on newer cars the have such on them.

13. mavtricks71

mavtricks71 Member

i love the Flat look! thats kinda wut i was aiming for...im very very happy with mine

14. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    Ultimately... thats all that matters.

15. maverickdvm

maverickdvm Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Mav 393C super gas car(work in progress), 72 2-door Mav 351C street/strip 1/4 mile car, 70 Grabber 302 pure stock drag project, 72 Grabber 351W, 74 4 dr Comet 302, 70 Grabber 300i6 project, 69.5 200i6 Stock, 71 Grabber 302 Stock
    Being from a mixed Mopar/Maverick garage, this is what my orange drag car has for its tail panel and hood blackout area! I think it came out nice.