Ford racing r302 block fitment

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by Rogue302, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Rogue302

Rogue302 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Hey everyone,
    I'm looking at getting a Ford racing r302 block for a turbo or supercharged build. They've been replaced by Ford Racing's new boss 302 block. My question is does anyone know if the r302 fit (width) like a standard 302 block or is it wider like the boss block that fits like a 351w, Making turbo headers pretty much impossible between maverick shock towers.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    What's the deck height??? Should be included in specs... At 8.2" it's std 302, a 351 would be 9.5"..

3. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    M6010 Boss 302 8.2" deck height. Is this the one you're interested in?

MD

4. Rogue302

Rogue302 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    It's was an already built engine on Craigslist that I was trying to figure out the specs on. It was a casting number simular to #####-R302. It was a 8.2 deck height. I ended up not purchasing it after talking to the kid trying to sell it. He didn't know anything about it, an could only tell me stories of what it came from and mythical hp numbers from the 2 previous owners who drag raced with it. Buying anything that expensive that he's never even heard run and just sat in his storage unit is a little too risky of a purchase for me with my max budget on the line.

5. mavman

mavman Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick, '03 super duty, '04 Mustang Vee-six!
    You made a wise choice.

Speaking for myself here, but if I am buying a core engine-one that I expect to have to overhaul/rebuild, it better be cheap enough (IOW, free). But if I'm buying a complete supposed running engine, and looking for something that's performance oriented, I want a build sheet at the very minimum; and if that's not available, I'll ask to pull a head and oil pan to check it out. If they don't want to do it, I'll move on. That's if I can't see or hear it run. I have been duped way too many times over the years on engines that were supposed to be running engines. One that sticks out was a 351c that was supposed to be a 4v CJ block, but it was so greasy that I couldn't see the numbers on the block (pan on). Guy didn't want to pull the pan and I should have walked away at that point. But I wanted it and bought it; got it home and pulled the pan to find 2 bolt main caps, and of those 2 of them were mismatched. All bearings smoked. Scrap to me. Actually I think I ended up scrapping it.

Best used/production blocks I ever bought were found at a scrap metal recycler, for scrap price.