Found something interesting when searching out a creek / squeek

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Mustangnut, Jun 24, 2014.

  1. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    Well I've been looking and looking trying to figure out what is making noise when I move the car. When i let off the clutch and start to move or let off of the throttle when getting it I hear a noise thats hard to pinpoint.

    I was looking under the car when I saw that the home made traction bars on the car were looking somewhat off.

    They welded plates under the car for a forward mounting position to mount the traction bar to. The driver side plate is actually cracked and almost completely broken off.
    They have the plates welded on and then a drop down where the traction bar actually mounts. It's basically ripped the plate in half and the part of the plate that holds the mount for the traction bar is hanging down a 1/4 of an inch.

    I had to go out of town so I haven't had a chance to take pics or really investigate but the material of the plate apppears to be aluminum or some really crappy steel. I'll have to take the grinder to it to figure out what it is really but either way I'm gonna grind both mounting plates off of the car and replace them with some quality steel plates.

    I will post up pictures when I get home this weekend so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I haven't been able to verify but I'm almost positive that is whats making the noise. I'm sure when I put load on the car or take it off really quickly that the plate thats broken is creeking and moving all around and doing all sorts of crazy stuff lol.
     
  2. COMETIZED

    COMETIZED Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    Messages:
    1,675
    Likes Received:
    547
    Trophy Points:
    348
    Location:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Material origin ??

    Noticed your post about the plate fastened to the Traction Bars.. If the plate is welded is most likely " Iron" .. Ferrous and non ferrous metals cannot be joined by welding .. No need for a grinder .. just take a small MAGNET and see if it attracts to the plate.. If so ITS IRON or STEEL .. ALUMINUM will not.
    Cometized


    QUOTE=Mustangnut;1019311]Well I've been looking and looking trying to figure out what is making noise when I move the car. When i let off the clutch and start to move or let off of the throttle when getting it I hear a noise thats hard to pinpoint.

    I was looking under the car when I saw that the home made traction bars on the car were looking somewhat off.

    They welded plates under the car for a forward mounting position to mount the traction bar to. The driver side plate is actually cracked and almost completely broken off.
    They have the plates welded on and then a drop down where the traction bar actually mounts. It's basically ripped the plate in half and the part of the plate that holds the mount for the traction bar is hanging down a 1/4 of an inch.

    I had to go out of town so I haven't had a chance to take pics or really investigate but the material of the plate apppears to be aluminum or some really crappy steel. I'll have to take the grinder to it to figure out what it is really but either way I'm gonna grind both mounting plates off of the car and replace them with some quality steel plates.

    I will post up pictures when I get home this weekend so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I haven't been able to verify but I'm almost positive that is whats making the noise. I'm sure when I put load on the car or take it off really quickly that the plate thats broken is creeking and moving all around and doing all sorts of crazy stuff lol.[/QUOTE]
     
  3. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    I'll check it out when I get back. I was saying I would find out what it is when I took the grinder to it because either way its coming out. I figured it would be steel / iron but the way the metal looks where its broken looks / feels / sounds a lot like alum. I'll have to pick up some suitable steel etc etc to get it right. Anyone recommend anything in particular to use?
    The magnet is a good idea though.

    Thanks
     
  4. Bryant

    Bryant forgot more than learned

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Messages:
    6,538
    Likes Received:
    153
    Trophy Points:
    203
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    i would suggest changing to a different type of traction bar. it sounds like you have a shelby style. this style will cause suspension bind. this bind is transferred to the plates welded to the floor pan and can cause what what your describing. look in to cal tracs bars
     
  5. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    Thanks bryant. I've heard of and had a set of cal tracs before. That was years ago though and got in on a group buy if I remember correctly. Not sure what they run now but I will have to look it up.

    Thanks
     

Share This Page