Foxbody vortech on a mav?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Streetnstrip, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    I just picked up a used foxbody vortech kit the other day & was wondering if any of you guys have done this & if there are any issues to look out for?

2. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Never seen one in person but I don't see why not so long as you consider and factor in our cars reduced hood clearance issues. But that's what hood scoops are for, right? lol

Maybe look at paxtond's, franktf, and I believe Rick's(gear driven) cars for a little bit of fit up reference. Have seen a few others but damned if I can recall them at the moment. Good luck with it.. will be interesting!

PS. look at powerband's centrifugal blow-thru setup too.

3. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Im going with a factory style efi so i think hood clearance will be ok but im looking at the pulley to radiator & im thinking im going to have to put fan in front of the radiator

4. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    sure thing about the fan and that EFI intakes horizontal inlet plumbing helps out a lot right there. and despite it acting as a bit of a cork.. turning up the boost a little more will fix that right up. Up to what the pistons and tune will tolerate of course. lol

Should be a fun ride. Good luck with it all and keep us posted on the progress!

5. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
  6. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...
    I used a Ford 351 'Lightning' Pikup supercharger system on a Maverick 250 inline six. An issue with converting to forced induction is the Mavericks' fuel supply which usually will need a similar size return setup with a fuel pressure bypass regulator with most any sort of forced induction. . On the 250 SC Vortech, the Maverick needed a 3/8 return to the fuel tank w/ Aeromotive bypass boost ref'd pressure regulator. The basics are easy it's the details that add up. Timing management is critical, usually electronic/boost ref'd'. A reliable AFR gauge is basic as well as boost gauges to know what's happening in real time. I went carburetor but appreciate fuel injection is a more versatile option. Initially on the 250 I used a Buick derived draw-thru turbo which ran pretty good until OEM pistons blew rings lands off @ 20 lbs of boost ...

that's what hood scoops are for, right? lol
    To tuck the SC and pipes under the Maverick hood, I cut open a parts car (Comet GT) hood and added a Ford heritage teardrop hood scoop for trad' form and functional simplicity. .

[​IMG] .[​IMG] .

have fun

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  7. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Thats pretty cool combo not too many folks do that w a I6

8. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    My combo will be ported explorer intake & throttle body with 42# injectors ported e7 heads stock cam with 1.7 cobra rockers & true flat tops in a 306 with vortech v1 i plan to run the stinger pimpxs ecu some local guys have that & really like it so im gonna give it a try im running a fuel cell so ill need to upgrade my inline fuel pump & run a return line to the cell also running a c4 w a ptc custom convertor 9" rear with 3.70 gear & 315/60-15s

9. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Unless you're saving some ching by porting that manifold yourself?.. I'd be looking at a used aftermarket piece. Tons of them out there, some are already ported too. In fact, just seen one a few weeks ago on my local craigslist for $100 bucks.

Same goes for the E7 heads. Those exhaust ports are horrid to say the least. Too many good deals on new and used cylinder heads out there to really justify dumping money into stock parts. That way you could potentially get more power from less boost.. or considerably more power with even higher boost. Not trying to dissuade your plan.. JMHO. Then again.. something to be said about getting a motor up and running quicker if you already have all the parts.

10. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Motors already in the car driving it with a carb right now did the porting myself so nothing lost there other than a lil time i got the explorer intake from a buddy so not much invested there either im really pretty pleased with how it is now but as always looking for a lil more power

11. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Got it. What size header on it right now? If 3" collector there is more to be had with a weld or slip on on merge style collector. Little motors don't need near that much collector and increases reversion. 2.125 - 2.25" choke size would be much closer to ideal. Motor will feel bigger and probably make a bit more peak power too. Basically fattens up the power curve and allows tighter tune dial in. Just a thought.

12. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    My original plan was to build a 331 but funds were just not there so settled for building a fresh basicly stock motor so i could enjoy it instead of it just stting there i still want to do the stroker & have a few parts for that but its gonna be more long term project just happened to stumble on a deal on the vortech so i figured why not put it on what i already have i mean it does have forged pistons so why not lol

13. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Currently running the shorty headers for a mav

14. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    All good points. The merge would also work well on the other motor too. Have fun.. that's the most important part right there.

15. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Also running 2.5" exhaust with x pipe & dynomax race bullets dumped at backseat