Frame Rail damage

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by CapnComet, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I pulled this off another thread. You will see how the MII welds to existing rails.

[​IMG]

2. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    I guess you cant direct link to the image.

3. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
  4. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    The links above are a nice reference for the mustang II intall.

To answer some questions:

No, you don't have to run power steering. They come with manual racks.

You don't HAVE to replace your fender aprons and radiator support. That's just how I do projects. I'm a clean slate kind of guy. You could weld the new frame rails back to the old sheet metal if it's not in terrible shape. Then you won't have to worry about inner wheel wells or anything like that. If you do replace them, I would just use 14 ga or 16 ga sheet metal and bend it up similar to what the factory did. Angle iron is going to be way too heavy and is really overkill.

I would say the mustang II swap is going to be easier than trying to weld on another old front clip. That just seems like a nightmare to me. Matching up all that old steel and dealing with all the rust and the problems that come with harvesting it. Yuck! No thanks...

If you just take it one step at a time it's not so bad. Don't think of the whole project all at once, or you'll be overwhelmed. All those little steps will add up to one new front end when you're done.

5. CapnComet

CapnComet Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT
    Everybody, I really appreciate all of the compliments and advice so far. I was reading back at everyone's posts and realized I had not said 'Thank You' one single time. So......THANKS!!!!! I am just so excited to finally have the car and to be working on it that was all I was thinking about.

Now as for the swap, after looking at the pics above and at my car again I don't think I would have a problem doing the conversion. It would take some figuring but I could do it.
    I decided to look at it from a different direction. If I don't put the new front end under there then I will have to replace many of the current parts before it would be road worthy. After listing those out and the pricing the lot it came to around $950, depending on what quality parts I go with. Still doesn't compare to the $2500 but I would still be stuck with drum brakes and a "loose" front end.
    On the other hand, $2500 is a lot of money. I don't think the car will even be worth much more than that even when I get done with it. If it was going to be more of an investment then I would be leaning more toward the new front end. I still just don't know......

6. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    a depressing thing ive started to notice about mavericks and comets is that they really are not a good investment. if your looking to put alot of time and money into something so you can sell it later i really wouldnt recomend a maverick.most of the guys on here sink in as much money as they do because they love their car that much.

7. CapnComet

CapnComet Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT
    Yeah and that's the thing. I do love this car that much. I guess I just have too many hobbies. Too many things that I love to spend money on. I don't think that I would ever sell the Comet. Like several others I've seen on here, it was my first car. You never really get over that first love, right? *sniff sniff*

I think I'll buy a good welder, build a few items to sell and make enough to pay for the welder and the front end. So, anybody on here need anything? Trailer? Pig cooker? Receiver hitch cargo tray? I'll even take requests.......lol