Fried solenoid? /help identify trans. part

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Mlover, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Mlover

Mlover Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick 1974
    Hello Maverick/Comet community. I have had a couple of up and down moments with my maverick this past weekend.

I finally saved enough to get some exhaust work done to my maverick. Unfortunately the shop was unable to start my car when they were done. The issue was a single click but not turning over. The battery is good (have not load tested but it’s basically new) so I swapped out the solenoid on the spot as a guesstimate. No go. Towed home.

I read in the forums and followed everything I could find. Today I checked all cables. Replaced the cables that run from the starter to the solenoid (which was damaged from the welding.....) and also my positive battery cable . it didn’t look bad but I read looks arent everything.

When removing the starter cable from the starter end, I noticed that it makes contact with my header pipes! My friend suggested we place some thick rubber between to create some sort of seperation. He said it was creating a ground if it made contact. We tried it and it worked! Sounds MUCH quieter than before which is incredible!

I tried again to start it a little later to move it to its proper parking spot. And again same issue as before! Single click and not turning over. Except this time I did get a slight burning smell. Not sure what I burned out.... suggestions? What should I start off by checking? And how?

The exhaust shop also created a leak on one of my transmission lines(?) Is it possible to replace this piece by itself? What’s it called? And how difficult is it to replace for an amateur mechanic? I will attached photos when I get to my laptop. But it looks like a really thick brake line.

Appreciate all the help!

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    First off, if the lug on starter to attach cable is grounding on header, you have a major problem. A piece of rubber is just going to burn up. At the least need provide some clearance either by trimming post and/or dimpling header. Alternately use a smaller late model Mustang starter, but that will require some reconfiguring of the wiring from solenoid.

jasonwthompson and Maverocket like this.
  3. Mlover

Mlover Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick 1974
    Thanks for confirming. I was hopefully going to just make a quick spacer with rubber or wood. Just enough to get it back to the exhaust shop and get it fixed.

Do you think my starters gone bad after this incident? Or do you think I’ll need a new solenoid? Or both?

4. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    If your starter grounded out then you will likely need a new starter. I agree on the mini starter, it will give you a lot more room and is well worth the upgrade. I would first replace the starter solenoid first, test it then move on to the starter if that doesn't work. But if the header is touching and it grounded out I would go talk to the shop and make them pay for the replacement. That is unacceptable that any quality shop would not check their work and not notice something like that. Plus damaging your transmission lines is even worse.... But to answer that question, if they nicked the line itself and that is what is leaking you can A) bend up a new line (not hard to do but does require some skill) or B) you can just buy a replacement pre-bent line.

jasonwthompson likes this.
  5. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Allow me to also throw in my unsolicited 2 cents worth. Get a DB Electrical PMGR starter. They are less than $50, half the weight and nearly half the size.

6. Mlover

Mlover Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick 1974
    Thank you! Appreciate all the input. The shop is closed today so I will speak to them tomorrow. In the meantime, I am going to test everything today after work.

I'm hoping that it is the solenoid but my luck isn't too good so I have a feeling I will be changing the starter soon.

In the past I think I tried to remove the starter before but had issues. Am I required to lower the transmission slightly to get to the starter? Last time I think I couldn't fit a wrench over one of the bolts. Any tips? Specialized wrench?

I tried to upload a picture of the transmission line that was damaged. (Will try again in a bit). But it is the longest line. Do you know the part number? Would it just be attached with some nuts (similar to the brake line system)?

Thanks.

7. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    If it is the factory style starter you will just need some time, patience and a bit of flexibility lol. You don't have to do anything to the transmission to take out the starter. A normal 1/2" (I think that's the size bolt) wrench will take it off no problem at all. It is just a flared line with two nuts for the transmission line, it helps to have the correct flare wrench to take it off. It is just a standard wrench with a hole cut into it so it can fit over the line. I don't remember who makes the lines but someone on here can help you.

8. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I normally go to the parts store and get one off a 90s mustang, they cost more for sure but they have a life time warranty. I have used it several times in the past lol.

jasonwthompson likes this.
  9. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Let me assume you are talking about a V8 engine? Also, you talking a custom header? Whatever the case, it should not be touching the lug on the starter. I can't imagine any production aftermarket or OE header touching starter.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  10. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    remove the battery cable before removing the starter...ground cable first.

11. baddad457

baddad457 Member

I'm running a later model full size starter on my 77 with Hedman long tubes and have no issues with the starter cable contacting or in removing the starter. The positive lug is on the end of the starter body, not on the side. As for the Solenoid, you get what you pay for today. I went through 4 before I finally bought a quality repop unit from a classic Stang vender. The part house solenoids are crap.

12. Mlover

Mlover Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick 1974
    I should have specified in my original post. My fault.

My Maverick is a 74 with a 250 inline. The headers are aftermarket (got them off ebay).

I tested the car yesterday and sure enough when I stick a piece of cardboard/or something to create separation it turns over and on! I just called the shop and he said to bring it in and they could fix it. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT!!!! Really glad my starter and solenoid still worked despite that burning smell I got on Sunday!

I do plan to upgrade to the 90's mustang starter when I do need to replace mine, but hoping it will be another day. Was not expecting these turn of events but it's something that is expected with older cars as I've learned from my project lol.

Here is a photo of the line I was hoping to identify. It is the longest line. Does anyone have a part number? Or a link to where I could get one? Or if anyone is selling one? Apologies for the low resolution photo, anything higher resolution isn't uploading for me.

Attached Files:

• mav.jpg
      mav.jpg
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
  13. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    G
    Glad you got it resolved. Yea, it does help to give all the info "associated w/ what ur trying to accomplish", will probably get problem resolved a lot faster.
    I don't have any issue uploading higher res. images.

14. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    upload_2019-2-19_17-0-10.png

Attached Files:

Mlover likes this.
  15. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    that member is in cali and has a lot of parts it seems. Give him a call and see if he can help you.

Mlover likes this.