Front Speaker Replacement

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rosalindr, May 29, 2006.

1. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    It's Done

I had some work done on my Air Conditioner today. I asked the A/C guys put in the speaker. They didn't hook it up to the Secret Audio head unit because it's hidden inside the AM radio shell, but that should be the easy part.

My thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions.

Roz

PS The paper cone on the old speaker was like tissue. It crumbled in my hand!

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

Let us know how it sounds when you get it hooked up.

3. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    I didn't forget to answer. It still isn't hooked up. I'll let you know when it is.

Roz

4. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Single stereo speaker

I got my Dad one of those Custom Autosound speakers for his Truck.
    I was a bit disappointed in the sound given the price.

Just my $.02.

Seth

5. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    What is he using for a head unit (radio)? That makes all the difference.

6. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    A stereo unit...

...marketed by them as well. Supposedly modern technology
    in the old 2 knob format.

Not impressive to me. It sounds like what it is, 1 speaker.

7. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    I am very impressed with mine.

Try some bass blockers on both channels going to that speaker...that could help.

8. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    I bought the under the seat speakers too, but they sounded muffled under the seats. So I pulled them out and left them on the floor in the back. They sound better, but I agree that the sound has been disappointing for what the system cost. I'm hoping once I get the front speaker hooked up, it will balance out the two in the rear, and give a "surround sound" effect.

It's nice to be able to keep the old radio in the dash, so it looks original. I couldn't see the small control unit mounted under the dash from the driver's seat. So I had it taken off, and keep it next to me. That makes it easy to control the unit. I have the System 1, with the line of sight remote. I want to be able to see what channel or CD I'm on, and not have it hidden.

I had a strange problem with the CD player. If I turned the car off with the CD on, the CD would start up again when I turned the ignition on, but then the unit would shut off when I started the car. I have to turn the car off with the CD player off, or with it switched to the tuner. Then I can start the car and the tuner will come on, and I can switch to CD from there. I can't start the car and keep the CD player on from the last time I shut off the engine.

The guy who installed the system isn't a professional sound man, just a neighbor who's willing to work on my Maverick for me. He said it's got something to do with the interruption in power to the CD player between turning the ignition key on, to starting the engine. He said the CD player shuts off, and cycles the CD out of the play position, and gets stopped in between. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's just easier to turn off the CD player before shutting off the engine, then to reinstall the whole thing.

Roz

9. |MaverickMat|

|MaverickMat| '74 Grabber

Vehicle:
    1974 Grabber
    That's odd...

I had a buddy who bought a Custom Autosound head unit for his '67 Camaro. He paid like six hundred dinero for this thing, which blew my socks off, then it arrived and didn't even work. The company took it back and said they'd send him a new one, so they've been real good to work with, but I don't know about the quality. It would be nice though to have a factory looking head unit. Having a new head unit in an otherwise stock interior might throw the look off just a little... :huh:

10. mav man

mav man Member

Vehicle:
    70mav
    if it were me i would just put 6x9s in the rear deck with a new head unit and be done with it, alot better sound than one speaker in front.