fuel tank

Discussion in 'Technical' started by busyb187, Dec 22, 2010.

1. 7D2 Grabber

7D2 Grabber Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT, 1967 F100 short bed, 2008 Z06
    Whoa, wait just a minute. We're in a drought here in CA. How much water are we talking about. Fines shall be imposed for excess use. There will also be a fee assesed for use or lack of use of lint. Nothing is free in CA

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    LOL

3. Hectorssn95

Hectorssn95 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick
  4. TommyGun1928

TommyGun1928 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Have a question guys, can I use the vapor line on the fuel tank as a return line for my fuel regulator. Upgrading my fuel system with a regulator and looking for a way to return the excess fuel to the tank. Thanks for any help.

5. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...
    can I use the vapor line on the fuel tank as a return line for my fuel regulator

I considered same thing with my '74 Maverick. I decided the vapor line isn't built for pressurized fluid.

If you are moving to Fuel Injection or Forced Induction, a higher pressure elec. pump and return to tank fuel pressure regulator is probably necessary
    I ran a 3/8 'bendable' copper/nikl brake line from engine bay fuel pressure regulator to rear of car following original fuel line from tank. At the tank, I ran the return into the Trunk fuel filler tube. The regulator returns a lot of fuel from the constant duty electric pump. Electric Fuel pump is outside front of tank, FP regulator is specific for mid-pressure FI pump and carbureted application (with boost reference if needed).

have fun

[​IMG] . [​IMG]. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TommyGun1928

TommyGun1928 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Thx for the reply Powerband. I'm running a 600cfm Holley that requires 6.5 psi. My electric pump is putting out 115 gph @ 7-9 psi so I needed to regulate the pressure down. I like your set up and I might go that rout, but first I'm going to research the vent assembly, I wish Ford had some king of schematic of fuel tanks but I can't find any yet. I don't want to drop the tank but it seems like I'm going to have to.

7. BKelley

BKelley Comet Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    "72" Comet GT
    This may help???.... http://1bad6t.com/Maverick/repair/images/untitled063.gif

8. TommyGun1928

TommyGun1928 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    It does help thanks a lot :)

9. TommyGun1928

TommyGun1928 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Ok I pulled the tank with no issues and the tank looks to be in good shape inside and out. I will be able to use the vapor capture fitting with minor modifications as the return from my fuel regulator. The sending unit needs to be replaced, found one at Summit Racing for 50 bucks, over all this is going to work out nice. (pics to follow)

What would be a good tank cleaner? Where I live there are no businesses within 100 miles that do tank boiling.

10. TommyGun1928

TommyGun1928 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Ok I ended up not being able to use the vapor fitting due to it being a 1/4 opening, too small, a very stout fitting but just too small. I had a new fitting fabricated with a 3/8 return line fitting and an 1/8 vapor line fitting. The vapor fitting has a baffle inserted to stop any solid fuel, and if any solid fuel enters the line it is elevated above the tank so it will drain out naturally. I used a pneumatic gun exhaust filter to cap the end of the new vapor line , this was attached with a bracket behind the bumper channel. Still working on obtaining hard line but getting there, the regulator and the new 600 cfm Holley are installed. For those wanting to use their original tanks with a return line this might be an option, haven't seen this set up on any other forums. Let me know what you guys think, any pros or cons.

Attached Files:

11. Hectorssn95

Hectorssn95 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick
    I just drilled a hole 3/4" below top edge of tank on the passenger's side, rear of the tank, and threaded the hole with a tap to the size of a bulkhead fitting of your choice, I chose a 3/8 bulkhead fitting, and ran my return line from my regulator to the vent tube in the engine bay and the rear end of the tube can be connected to the bulkead fitting with some fuel hose and return line finished. Since tank material isn't very thick for threads to engage fully I used rtv to seal the fitting in place once it was lightly snug because over tightening will strip the little bit of thread you have

12. Jaybee

Jaybee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    I like what you did there. Did you consider running a line inside the tank to deposit the fuel near the bottom? I don't know how important it is, but some sources say that's how it should be done. A lot of others seem fine just dumping it back in the tank somewhere.

13. TommyGun1928

TommyGun1928 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Interesting do you have any pics? Drilling into a fuel tank man you have balls of steel.

14. TommyGun1928

TommyGun1928 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I've never heard of running a line into the bottom of the tank but this is the first time for me and it seemed to be the safest rout, if I drop the tank again I will run a hard line to the bottom of the tank good idea no splashing. I wasn't able too find any threads here about a running a return line so I went with this configuration. I find it hard to believe only three replies to this thread, it seems nobody is running a return line?

15. Jaybee

Jaybee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    IMO it'll work fine.