Gas Gauge not working?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by shaneb, May 17, 2011.

  1. shaneb

    shaneb Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2009
    Messages:
    424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Mckinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick
    Ok so I figured out my dash light's not working! Now only issue is with the gas gauge. I used a voltage meter and the two wires going to fuel tank are bouncing around from 0 to 12 and then starting over again. Any idea why or what could be causing this? all the fuses are new I cleaned the fuse box area and cleaned all the connections. Could the part that reads the fuel level be bad? Please let me know only a few days till this is up and running. :hmmm:
     
  2. maverick75

    maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2005
    Messages:
    9,018
    Likes Received:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    172
    Location:
    Riverside, California
    Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    You can test it with an ohms meter.


     
  3. shaneb

    shaneb Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2009
    Messages:
    424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Mckinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick
    This means i would have to pull the sending unit out? I dont remember how much gas was in it before the Inline 6 when out. I do have about 20 gas cans in the garage. I will try this real quick and see what happens.:idea:

     
  4. maverick75

    maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2005
    Messages:
    9,018
    Likes Received:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    172
    Location:
    Riverside, California
    Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Yeah its better if you pull it out, but if you know how much fuel is in the tank you can also test it that way. Using the formula:

    10 ohm = full .... 78 ohm = empty
     
  5. shaneb

    shaneb Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2009
    Messages:
    424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Mckinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick
    Funny how everything seems to be coming together. I had a spare tire in my trunk it pinched the wires together. Someone spliced it before. Problem solved. Thanks for your help!



     

Share This Page