Gathering parts for winter upgrades

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by spork1o1, Dec 1, 2016.

1. spork1o1

spork1o1 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Getting a quick performance 9" housing built to my current 8" length.
    Picked up a Strange Pro case and a set of 4.30 gears.
    Order a pair of seats from Jegs.

Thinking about a set of split mono leafs, or a new set of 3 leafs with some caltracks.
    Called on having a custom cage installed and had a little sticker shock, was quoted $250 a point. $2500 for a 10pt cage. Was only budgeting for about half that.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  2. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    lol.. at least I'm finally building an engine for mine but I'm still gathering parts too. Can't hardly wait for the time when I can actually stop gathering. Probably be close to half a day before forever when that day finally comes around. o_O

3. dan gregory

dan gregory Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    Selling a nice set of 289 hds. for $400 which is going to allow me to finish my roush hds. ,except for a little more prt matching & bowl work which I will do.Took my c6 trans pan off,everything looks good,now I will put in manual trans reverse valve body & get a 9in 5000 stall & it will be ready to go.If the overtime holds up,after xmas gonna pull the trigger & buy the crank & pistons($1700),which means I can get the blk. align honed & get it ready to go & have the assembly nuetral balanced.My machine shop said get ready,the last one they did with only 2 slugs of mallory was $580.Boy,to build a first class mtr. this stuff gets expensive doesn`t it,& I still need about another $1000 to finish the mtr.

4. spork1o1

spork1o1 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I know what you mean. I did my engine last winter, the only used part was the block every thing else was new.

5. mcknight77

mcknight77 Member

Vehicle:
    74 Mav drag car, 1970 Maverick, 1971 Bronco, 66 Nova, 67 Ranchero
    I've got some of the parts, a line lock and upgraded lifters. Talked to the converter guy. He's building me a new 4000 stall converter. Hopefully this won't have 15% slippage on the top end. Still need to get a better tach, rear shocks, head gaskets and others to R&R the heads, and the alternator. I've decided to not put 11.5 to 1 pistons in it and just save my money for the 347 short block.

If my family wasn't expecting Christmas presents I'd be farther along!

6. dan gregory

dan gregory Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    Yeah,xmas does tend to make a serious dent in racing programs especially when you need thousands of dollars of parts.

7. mgabski

mgabski Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    Currently I have 275 50s waiting to throw on to take the 275 60s off. plan on advancing the cam timing and most likely changing the intake out. wanted to do a trans this winter but funds don't look like that is gunna be allowed.

8. Richard Kuss

Richard Kuss Kusstum Fabrication

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick, 1970 Maverick parts car
    I literally just got off the phone with calvert. I order split mono leafs I bougot my caltracs and shocks last month, waiting to install. my 3leafs now sag I assume cause I have a 5 inch shackle. I didn't wanna mess with it, I bought global west shackle to put it back to stock shackle length. I chose the +1 mono leafs so I don't lose my height going back to stock height shackle.

9. spork1o1

spork1o1 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick

What was the damageon the split mono springs, if you don't mind me asking. Hopping I have enough left in the budget.

10. JHodges

JHodges thumper

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 351w swap, 1965 Mustang 355 glide, 1993 civic daily driver
    I took my converter to ptc to get it freshened and will be buying a built c4 transmission from them. Also plan to replace the cobbled up crap tranny lines with an lines and install a new master cylinder, tidy up some wiring. I have a set of grenada disc brakes to install and would like to start working on replacing the wore out suspension components. No wonder I am always broke and excited to work every Saturday they let me lol

11. spork1o1

spork1o1 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    The 9 inch housing is on it's way and the FedEx guy just dropped off one of my seats it's a NRG FRP 300. he also had my new Lakewood bellhousing 15200 that I got a good deal on. If any one is looking to get a new Lakewood bellhousing look it up on auto zone's website, got mine for $377 shipped. Summit was $540

12. skeeterc144

skeeterc144 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    I acquired my maverick around thanksgiving,before that I had a 87 ranger that I raced. I sold it as a roller and have been putting the motor and trans out of the ranger into this car. I went 950s in the ranger all motor 408/ c4 combo. I'm hoping to get some low 9s out of this car as its about 600#lighter. With better equipment.

13. dan gregory

dan gregory Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    Hey Skeeter,say hello to your dad for me.I found out why Jeff Virdie with his TopGun Firebird was not at the Hangover Nats. race in Richmond.I met a guy & his wife from Petersburg who had a dragster there & that subject came up.They laughed & told me he was at home counting his money.I don`t know how it works but he won the National IHRA Bracket Challenge,I guess you get points for races won & number of rounds you go.He won a MILLION dollars for winning that challenge,guess his car is getting ready to go faster than 5.80s,you know,he is at that track every Sat. night that they run.

14. spork1o1

spork1o1 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Need to assemble the 9" and mock up in the car so I can set pinion angle.
    Ordered an aluminum Ram flywheel part number 2515 and a Ram sintered iron clutch disc part number 1336 to go with my Ram 470cw adjustable pressure plate.
    Now just need some warmer weather to work on it.

15. airford1

airford1 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I guess it's true that a Tax return is really a "Race Car Stimulus package".