Getting tired of multiple colors...might do the Roll-On

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, May 31, 2007.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Now THAT is cool!!! Who on here wished to do the same thing they were doing when they were 17/18 yrs old?:huh:

"Yeah, I would love to still be flippin' Whataburgers, or makin' Pizza Hut pizzas when I "grow up""...

congrats to you that you have landed a career at a young age that might actually take you somewhere in you're adult life...:clap: :D

2. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I've expressed my opinions on these paintjobs in the past...all I'll say is good luck. You get what you pay for.

3. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

the real early Fords rolling out of the factory were all hand painted , they brushed them on,....

4. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Yep...I think everyone should brush paint...or roll at least one car. :coco:

5. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    when they had the side by side before and after pics of the falcon on the first page i really couldnt see that much diffrence. it looked fine how it was IMO maybe even better even though the stripes were cool

6. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I agree totally, but I am NOWHERE near ready to have the car painted, financially, and I don't have the facilities to spray paint, even though I have the tools. This way I can do it in my garage with little mess and NO overspray. It will not look great, but then, take a look at my avatar...my car couldn't look any worse when I am done:rofl2:

Also, I have some areas that are just covered with primer (hood and roof) and after a few years, I am starting to see a little surface rust coming through. I know when I get that primer off there will be more than I see now, so I really want to put "something" on there to protect it until I can afford and am ready to paint.

This article just got my attention at the right time...I was thinking of rattle-canning the hood and roof, then thought of rattle-canning the entire car one color, but this article came up and got me thinking of the no-overspray issue.

7. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Didn't you have some Epoxy Primer left over from doing your fenders? do the rest of you car with that for now.
    Better to have your car multi-colored than be embarassed by some lousy paint job.

8. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I do have epoxy primer left, but after shooting it in my garage, I THEN learned how dangerous the stuff is...supposed to cause serious and permanent lung damage even in small amounts of exposure.

I don't have a respirator, just a mask with the screw-on filter-cans.

9. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    I'm no expert on paint (lots of other areas too!) The biggest problem on this I can see, down the road if you want a really good paint job what will have to be done with this paint? May have big problems, bucks getting it stripped! Just something to check an think about

10. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    Chel
    I have to admit the pics look good.

$50, 7-10 coats, and wet sanding in between Vs. $400 for basecoat/clearcoat supplies and 1 long afternoon and another afternoon buffing. What price do you place on your time?

Cleaver

11. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

I'm not saying that.....I wouldnt do it either

12. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    More than the cost is the lack of having to shoot paint in my garage (attached to the house). Even with the HVLP gun, it made a mess of the garage, and stunk the house up. It would be nice to drive the car out of the garage, pull up the paper from the floor, and throw it away...no overspray and no fumes...

13. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Scoop, you can buy a complete kit on ebay, paint, hardner, and reducer, for about $80. That is a single stage enamel, no clear coat. Colors are somewhat limited, but from the pics, some nice colors. You could spray the car in the driveway on a clear,dry day. I have not used this paint before, but am planning to use this primer sealer and paint kit on a van that was given to our church. I figure I will have less than $200 in the paint job total.

14. random hero

random hero 1972 ford maverick I6

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick
    you could build your self a nice little ventilated spray booth out of 2x4's and plastic(the heavy gauge plastic that comes in rolls) thats if you have the room for one...just cut a whole the size of a box fan and put a box fan in the whole and turn it on...bam ventilation...i'm sure this ideahas a lot of flaws in it...

15. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    I have about 40 hours in wetsanding and buffing on a quality Dupont Basecoat/Clearcoat paint job to get the results I was after. I figure you'll spend twice that amount to make that paint job look decent. You might want to re-read that article. I seem to remember them saying they spent an awful lot of time buffing.
    So...at $40 per hour and 80 hours of sanding and buffing would be about $3200 in labor value. Of course that's just my labor rate...somebody else may be much less (or higher). :cry:
    Anyway, the price of that $98 paint job just went up.