Going compressor shopping...Anyone have any < $450 suggestions?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by stockhatch, Apr 13, 2005.

1. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Yeah I should have mentioned that it should be a belt driven oiled type. I was really concentrating more on CFM that hp due the the fudging that goes with hp ratings(class action lawsuits have resulted from this misrepresentation). Im really looking for something in the 10+CFM@90PSI range. It seems that all the compressors I was looking at 3 months ago have disappeared from the market. Its really strange. Harbor freight used to have literally pages of compressors in the size/capacity Im looking for and now they have like 3. I know CH was one of the companies who was sued for false hp ratings, and they lost. Maybe thats why I cant find them on the Lowes website any more. I guess companies all got scared of being sued and just stopped offering compressors or something...

2. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I've had my Craftsman 15-gallon, 3.5-horse compressor for 10 years with no problems. Of course I don't paint with it...

3. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    I bought my 5 horse belt driven oil type 60 gal Devilibis for $300 about 5 years ago. Got it at a place called the Tool Shed in Cullman, Al. Never had any problems with it at all. It will run a 3/4 impact with no problem, all my sanders and grinders and paint guns too. A good water filter is absolutely required no matter what kind you get. I've also got one of the 5 gal portable oil less ones that I use as a portable air tank. It's loud enough to scare small children and farm animals !

4. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    I found a nice compressor at Lowes. Its a Kobalt 3.5hp that puts out 15CFM@40PSI. Plenty to run a HVLP paint gun if I shop around for an air miser. Its a little over the budget at $547, but I think I may just suck it up and get it anyways.

5. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    I saw several at Lowes yesterday that are belt driven in your price range. I think one had at least a 60 gallon tank for around $450. They were black colored so I think they were the kobalts. onder who amles them Cambal hausfield or Devilbis?

Clint

6. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Check the motor for the current specs in particular the start-up current draw. My compressor would start-up fine when cold and under low pressure but while in use under pressure it would kick a 120v 15amp breaker everytime. In my new garage I ran a dedicated circuit for it and all is well. My next compressor will be a 220v model.

7. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Ok, I am going to pick up a compressor Friday. It will be the larger Kobalt which pushes a little over 15CFM@40PSI. That should run a decent paint gun and a DA sander. This is what has been keeping the Mav on the back burner, and now the project should start rolling right along. I need to go ahead and order some quarter panels now :) Anyone have any budget paintgun suggestions? Im looking to spend around $100. I hear the Astro HVLP is a great gun, and its around $90. Woohoo! Christmas in April :D

8. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Dang that sucks. While its apart you should go ahead and slap a stroker kit in it :D

9. 98truck

98truck Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Maverick
    I bought a Webster 80 gallon 5 hpm motor, a 1968 model 6 months ago to replace my 25 gallon oil-less compressor (Huskey), and I love it, I can do everything I want. Best investment I made for my project.