Goodrich, Firestone, Big O

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by rosalindr, Mar 15, 2006.

1. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    Hi,

I had more or less decided to buy Goodrich T/A Radials for my 1973 Maverick Grabber. I've been shopping now, and the guy at Big O claimed his SXP G/T are better. The Tire Rack rated Firestone Indy Firehawk as the best in that category. I'm not crazy about Firestones, but the ratings in every category were higher than the Goodrich. I don't know where the Big O falls in this. All are priced about the same. Big O is more expensive, but the others have to be ordered in the size I want (P205/70R14), which adds a shipping cost. Do any of you have any experience with any of these?

Also I need to buy a new spare tire. Can I buy a cheaper tire in the same size, or should I keep all five the same?

Roz :tiphat:

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I like the looks of the Firestone Indy 500's ... that's why I put them on my car ... :) Unless we are talking about Z rated 50 profile tires ... I don't think there is all that much difference in them. Most of us just want a good looking RWL tire for cruising ...

[​IMG]

3. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    The Big O? I thought only women talked about that!

4. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    she is, but you should be ashamed for pointing it out.

ros, i prefer michelins dont know if you cant get any that look like stockers though. ran xone on the cougar and am running pilots on the mav. they last a long time, ride real nice, and are good quality tires. the big o brand are good tires, but i wouldnt go to the one your dealing with again if i were you. i have never been told that i had to pay for shipping on tires that were delivered to a tire shop as part of the order, just put down a deposit. also, the big o brands are always comparable but cheaper than any name brands, so it sounds like hes trying to jack you around. i put big o big foots on my truck and they have been great, but i will be putting michelins on it as well next time(only because the big o by me closed)

5. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    if i read ros's post right she was saying that the other dealers were adding a shipping fee not big O. but anyway i've never had to pay a shipping fee either. they get tire deliveries all the time. i don't know about the tire your buying but i use big O here whenever i can. they have treated me right. :)

6. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    The Big O salesman (yes he's selling tires, not the other Big O :tsk:) is the one who added shipping onto the cost of the tires. I was suspicious of this too, but the other stores I called about Goodrich Radial T/A wanted $13 more each. The total, out the door cost at Big O for their brand or Goodrich was $370, while two other stores wanted $100 more for the Goodrich. I haven't checked on the Firestone pricing yet, but they look nice in on Dan's car.

Roz :tiphat:

7. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I wouldn't buy the Big O Tires. They won't "look" as good in my opinion......plus.......ALL the Big O stores have cllosed in my area. Makes it very tough to take care of any warranty work. :(

8. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    wonder why they are closing. there opening more stores in our area.:)

9. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I think it is a franchise thing.

10. Yellow72Mavrick

Yellow72Mavrick Banned

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick 2 door ( my sons) 250 c4
    My son has firestone Indy 500s on his 4 door, nice tires, he loves them
    I plan to run them too in 15 inch. His are 14s

11. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Who rated them, Firestone?

12. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    What he said, make sure to check consumer ratings online. you can google search for opinions and usually get a web site that lists peoples ratings of things. i have even found information on what are common issues people have with a certain product by doing this.

13. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    I like firestoner:evilsmile tires. I have never had a problem with them. Not much on Good years or BF goodrich. I really like toyo tires, Cooper tires are pretty good as well(they make Mickey Thompsons;) )

14. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    The ratings were posted on tirerack.com. They were mixed. A minority didn't like the Firestone Indys, but most gave them high ratings. Differences in ratings may have to do with the tire's size. I am thinking about getting 205/70R14. That's a little wider than the original D70's that came on the Grabber, but a close match. Dan what size do you have on your yellow Grabber? What size do you all recommend?

I was looking through the Maverick Calendar, and five of the cars have tires with RWL. The cover picture has Challenger Regul Sports. I've never heard of them, but they look good. The wheels look different, so I don't think these come in a size to fit my original wheels. The Comet GT for May has Goodrich Radial T/As. They look nice, but not special. Willie Opert's June Grabber is almost a ringer for mine. He's got fat Dayton's, with new wheels. These look hot. John Ford's August car tire reads MORDSD, which is a totally unfamiliar name to me. In November there's Dan Hines yellow '74 with Firestone Indy 500's. That's not the same car Dan has pictured in this thread, but the wheels look the same.

It looks like everyone with RWL tires has custom wheels. I don't think the Dayton's or the other tires, except Firestone and Goodrich, come in the size I need.

Roz

15. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    That is the same car ... at an earlier stage of it's transformation ... :)