Goodrich, Firestone, Big O

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by rosalindr, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    (3) 71's,two V-8's and one 200 cid
    I posted a reply, but now it's gone?:confused:

2. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    I finally made a decision

I want to thank all of you who answered my message and made suggestions. I was told today that Firestone discontinued the Firehawk Indy 500. I checked the Bridgestone-Firestone website and it looks like they've come out with a new model called Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 with UNI-T. This model doesn't come in a 205/70R14 size. It starts at 215. I wanted the 205's and was still able to order them from www.tirerack.com.

I know most of you recommended the Goodrich T/A Radials, but I like the looks of the Firestone Indy 500's better (see Dan Hine's photo). I thought I should get them while there are still some left in stock. They will probably be an improvement over the Dayton tires on the car now. I should have them on my Maverick before the drive to Reno. I'll let you know what I think about them then, and of course those of you at the Reno show will get to see how they look.

Roz :tiphat:

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    FYI ... they were always called FireHawk Indy 500's with UNI-T ... I was looking at them several years ago before I picked up the Hoosiers for my Grabber so they were called that since atleast 2004 .... I don't recall if a 205 was ever offered so it may be true they just discontinued that size ..

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  4. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Dayton is made by Firestone.....it's there in house bargin brand. I've run Dayton tires on the big truck, always gave good service.

5. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    I noticed that Daytons are on the Bridgestone website. There are some high performance Daytons too. When I bought my Grabber last year the seller replaced the front tires with 185/75R14 Daytons. They're definitely not performance tires. The rear tires are the ones that need replacing now. I figured I'd replace them all and the spare too.

Roz

6. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Here they are!!!

I had the Firstone Firehawk Indy 500s installed today. They look great. I'm glad they do not say Firestone on them. The white letters are bolder than the Goodrich T/A Radials, and I think they look HOT :clap:

Attached Files:

7. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    looking good, cant wait to see them at reno. so your back tires were bad huh? maybe you should stop burning the tires soo much:D

8. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    (3) 71's,two V-8's and one 200 cid
    Wow! Very nice indeed, did they make a differance in ride or steering?

9. Cabinator

Cabinator Member

Vehicle:
    74 Grabber, 70 Maverick
    I just put 205/70/14 Firehawks on mine Sat b4 the knotts show, blackwalls out, went off the tirerack.com ratings. feel good, although i think i need an alignment, the car wants to wander...

10. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    Its been several years since I was in the tire business - but BFG white letter tires used to have a compound that the white did not chalk as fast and the black stayed black longer. Also more resistant to cracking. Other categories they tended to be better than average but not really outstanding anywhere. You would also be surprised at what off brand tires come off molds right beside name brand tires. The first two characters of the DOT code are the tire plant manufactured. General and Kelly Springfield used to make a lot of Big O. See link to tire manufacturing codes codes .

Cleaver

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  11. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    I bought the exact same tire and size for the exact same reason and had the exact same problem. After they were put on the car, it pulled to the left. I had the front end realigned, and they are fine now. I like them a lot.

Roz