Got my deluxe Marti Report!! Yay!!

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by littlemissstang, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Ronald Hopkins

Ronald Hopkins Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I purchased my 1971 Comet GT from Morristown Tn. I had to order it in Jan. of 1971. I didn't get it until April. It was a black car with silver stripes. 302 with aC4 transmission and black interior. AM radio and 645x14 tires. I knew they were not going to be on there long. I replaced them with Keystone Classic wheels and E70 tires. I also added a 302 decal from a Cougar eliminator to the front of the stripe. The Bear Cats were 1972 models and they also were at Morristown Lincoln Mercury which is no longer in business. My friend worked there in the parts department but he passed away a few years back. I didn't mean to imply that your was not a Bear Cat. It's just that I always believed they only made them in 1972. Since it was a dealer installed package it could have been added to 1973'S

2. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Don't worry about offending us with your questions. I just hope we don't offend you with our answers. We really do want to help you with your research but its obvious that very few of us have even SEEN a Bear Cat. Hopefully some more of these Ga guys will step in that may know a few more tidbits that might help out. I'm sure there's SOMEBODY out there that worked for the dealerships that have more info. Keep digging. Never know what you might find.

3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Don't worry, you can't please everyone...and some people take things way too personal. It's your car, and it's a cool history. since very few seem to know anything about Bearcats, I wouldn't worry. It would be neat to dig up some more information, maybe the library would have some news papers, form back in the 70's, that you could find some advertising?

4. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    I never saw anything offensive on anyone's part actually..
    It's a wonder what happened to the wheels that came with the car. As for the Bear Cat decal. Is your mom sure that the car didn't have it? Maybe your dad removed it or maybe it was removed when it was repainted.. It has been a few years ago so maybe it was not kept track of..
    I can't read what is written across the stripes on the back..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. Ronald Hopkins

Ronald Hopkins Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Gene the Bear Cat was not a decal it was a chrome script design. I had my comet at a car show yesterday and a guy said his uncle bought a new Comet GT in 72 and it said limited on the stripe on the rear. I am sure it was installed by the dealer to add a few bucks to the price. Dealers added stuff all the time back then to raise the price a little. These cars were cheap. I paid $2888.00 for mine in 71. Payments were $93.00 a month and I was awake all night wondering how I was going to pay for it but I managed. Remember $93.00 was a lot of money in 1971.

6. littlemissstang

littlemissstang Mythical as a unicorn...

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Mercury Comet GT "Bear Cat"
    Mr. Selvey...when my Mother bought it they told her that it was a Bear Cat. She asked them why it and one other on the lot had the side pipes (cause that was the first thing that caught her eye that was different) and they told her that it was the Bear Cat package. She loves red so she picked this one.

7. littlemissstang

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Mom said that the other car had the little Bear Cat chrome script written emblem. For some reason they didn't put it on this one. I'm not sure if it was the year before's car or not. But, I have seen some that had a sticker on them that said Bear Cat. The stripe on mine says "Comet GT" on toward the rear. In the pic on my sig of it in front of the hotel, you can see something written above the stripe at the back. That said "Bill & Bren" which is my Mom and Dad's name. He hand wrote that in gold paint. Mom didn't like it, but what could she do after he had already put it there. lol

8. littlemissstang

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, Rayzor! I hope to fix that when we meet up at Pigeon Forge. I hope a lot more get to see it. I know the saying "seeing is believing". I hope it helps! lol I'm going to take someone else's advice and see if I can dig up something at the Rome library in the newspapers. Maybe I can also talk to some ladies at the tag office down there. Someone has to know people that used to work at that dealership. lol

9. littlemissstang

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, Dave! I really appreciate that! You have a terrific idea! I'm gonna go to the Rome library and the tag office and see if anyone knows someone from that dealership!

I am also going to order the window sticker from the Marti Report guys. From what I have gathered, it should be listed on there. And even if it doesn't I have another piece of history for my car! Wish me luck! :thumbs2:

10. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

That is the factory window sticker. It will not be listed on there.

Outside of the side pipes, did it have the Bear Cat wheels? What other Bear Cat items did it have?

11. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I see the fog lights. They have been moved to the top though.. And the chin spoiler.
    Edit: The origional lenses look clear in the pics. The left one looks damaged. Then in another pic they are yellow and mounted on top..
    The wheels look like factory slots. Maybe they had no more of them others?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  12. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Looks like high back seats. I don't remember what my GT had and it may not matter. Seems it had a bench but I also recovered it from a junk yard where it was hidden when it was stolen.

13. littlemissstang

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    It did come with the high back bucket seats, the clear driving lights that my Dad moved to the top because Mom kept hitting those parking stops with them lol, the front spoiler, and it did have different mags on it that had a black pin stipe on them. Dad didn't like them because he wanted to put a wider tire on it and changed them out with Crager Super Sport wheels. Mom later got these mags and changed them back as close as she could get. It came with these Sidewinder sidepipes, not Thursh. The dealer said these were Sidewinder and I have looked them up. Sidewinder went out of business but there are aftermarket ones that you can buy in "sticks" just like these that you cut to fit. The only other car I've seen with these pipe covers are Corvettes and Javelins. It also came with the T handle shifter that I was told by someone else came with the package. :huh:

14. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I'm not sure if you've spotted these images yet. They are posted on this site.

Attached Files:

15. littlemissstang

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I did, Razor. That pic is what made me ask Mom about the chrome emblems with Bear Cat on them. But, like I said she told me that they left them off. :huh: