Got my new Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Technical' started by NJShoreMav73, Feb 1, 2005.

1. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    You don't need to replace your original shackles unless they are badly rusted. They really don't wear-out.

Yes, the JCW springs come with front eye bushings (rubber) but not rear shackle bushings. I had them pressed out and installed urethane bushings, but I almost wish I had used the rubber ones, as the urethanes squeak when pulling into driveways. I got the new bushings and hardware from ESPO...

2. NJShoreMav73

NJShoreMav73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick- 2 Door, LDO Trim, 302, Bucket Seats, Automatic on the floor.
    Well, here are some progress shots. Now it has turned into me painting the wheel wells too and as far under the car as I can reach right now.

This snowball effect is killing me! I with I could slide out the rear, but I don;t want to have to deal with disconnecting the brakes and driveshaft. It would make painting and cleaning the rear a lot easier!

Without spending money on that POR 15, I was thinking of getting that rustoleom stuff. Anyone ever use it?

Thanks!

3. jhossrock

jhossrock Member

Vehicle:
    1972 4dr. maverick
  4. jhossrock

jhossrock Member

Vehicle:
    1972 4dr. maverick
    thats leafsprings/index.shtal i dont know why it didn't post like i wrote it. the site covers it very well.

5. FoMoDave

FoMoDave Maverick Owner

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 c-4,1971 Maverick 6cyl
    Just remember - SAFTY FIRST. You can do it. I have have had good luck with industral rust oleum ,avail at Home-depot. Those rust - stopping "paints" are costly but they are made to stop further rust ,paints just cover it up for a while.

6. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    steve there is a place in perth amboy that will make u=bolts real cheap. if i can remember it, i'll let you know... uhhhh you can try the yellow pages for "springs"

7. 72comet_GT

72comet_GT Member

Vehicle:
    1972 comet GT
    Squeak? Thats funny....they advertise using the poly's to correct sqeaking...........imagine that. I may have to rethink this. :confused:

8. NJShoreMav73

NJShoreMav73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick- 2 Door, LDO Trim, 302, Bucket Seats, Automatic on the floor.
    Scott,

I just ordered the new shackels, bushings, and U bolts from ESPO. They were gret and told me I will have them on monday. Everyhting cost me like 50 bucks and I got all new nuts and bolts too!

Now that gives me a reason to take my time and do some painting this weekend. No rushing to get it on the road when the parts aren't even here:)

9. Todd

Todd Mavchanic

Vehicle:
    blue 70 two door
    Oh dang, i should start reading this board more often. I think i actually have an extra set of bushings for the rear shackles laying around somewhere, i ordered an extra set because i didnt know that they came from springsnthings with a set already. Sorry man. yea its really easy. I did it by my lonesome when i was sixteen now wow thats a long time ago haha. anyway, one pointer i do know is when you go to put the shackles back in, its easier do put those in first, then bolt up the fronts after. makes maneuvering the spring into place a whole lot easier. Its a pretty cut and dry process as far as swapping in the new springs, i doubt you should have any trouble at all.

-Todd:)

10. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    steve uhhhh you don't need to remove the rear... just make sure the axle is just hanging there or you'll whack yourself when you undo the u-bolts... i mean...support the axle but don't have any tension on the spring. if you get in a pickle, call us! we'll be right over. by the way, i sprayed the crap out of the bushing where the bolts go through with PAM. for non stick frying and easy bolt removal. didn't want to introduce any kind of solvent based lubricant in case for some reason i had to re-use bushings. so when you doing this? i am sure me and shaunh can be a big help standing there drinking beer and watching while you do all the work!

11. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    ESPO sent me the wrong bolts for the front mounts. I paid $75 just for U-bolts, nuts, spring eye bolts, and poly-urethane bushings. PST sells "poly-graphite" bushings that are not supposed to squeak, but they did not carry them for Maverick rear suspensions, so I settled for the regular polyurethane, and they do squeak...

12. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    You know ... it's been a while but now that you mention it I recall ESPO sent me the wrong front bolts as well and had to re-use the original ones ...

13. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I think I reused my front bolts as well. Did use the Espo shackles and u-bolts.