Grabber hood in Carbon Fiber!

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Maverick Man, Dec 28, 2006.

1. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    What is the status on this project?
    I am in for one, haven't hit the lottery yet to go in for two... :(

Have we decided the whole removeable or non-removeable thing?
    You know where I stand.

Also, is there a middle ground on the scoops being open?
    I was thinking that you just mold the scoops closed for ease of building, then just let the end user decide if he wants to cut them open or not...

Personally, I would like mine to come as one piece, no seams, and open already. Then I would just make a grille to mount into the holes.
    I have used hardware store gutter guard aluminum for a similar project in the past. Looks pretty good. Left it nekid on that project, probably paint it black on this one.

Edit: I think it is a great idea to mold the scoops by themselves to sell as stock replacements. I just think that maybe that should be a seperate project from the hood.
    Maybe mold the scoops individually first, so that mold is done, then put the scoops in the hood mold.
    That way you have the benefit of selling scoops one at a time, while us that buy your hood for the good look of CF don't have to put up with seams and clutter in the design.
    Just a thought.
    I know you would surely sell plenty of scoops. I know of folks that have had the original scoops damaged or lost when they came loose going down the road. Sh!t happens and folks need replacements.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  2. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    you got my PM right!

you'll be one of the first one to get it then ;) but yeah i though about making the scoops in fiberglass but... nah too much to take on at one time.

anyways.....

i started on working on this project today! i have a OE hood and have some scoops. plus since carbon has settled in price and can be obtained for a reasonable price now is going to get done. the hoods it will get done since the boomerang dealo is not going to happen.. sorry. but for these hoods i should have something in about 3 months or so.

as far as any other questions about them .

1. scoops will be part of the hood and the creases will be filled. scoops will be functional with a plan to have mesh black wire behind them.
    2. these will be bolt on using your stock latches and hinge mounts. this is not some cheesy pull off.
    3. this will be a fiberglass frame with a carbon top. For those of you who know about pre-preg carbon this is not one of those unless your willing to pay me $4000 bucks for one!
    4. what will it weight… not sure but lighter then a fiberglass one ;)
    5. what is the price? should same as the cowls hood @ $675.00 or very close. why the same? actually it should be more then $675.00. the creases in the hood make it very hard to finish. if you still think its too much go buy it from someone else. i will tell you this it won’t fit right out of the box. i have had more then a few people tell me they should have listen to me the first time and just bought my cowl hood. now they are screwed and ended up spending more then they would have if they just bought mine in the first place. if your one of them speak up now ;)
    6. shipping cost? it is same as the cowl at $150.00 via truck line. if it’s too much don’t buy it. right now i have to source or partner with another company that has boxes and supplies to ship this thing. any fiberglass company out there that sell hoods is the same price for shipping, so it is more then fair.
    7. can i pick it up! heck yes if your local!
    8. can it be painted? yes! if anything i would love to see one done up like a grabber hood and the black part left carbon! now that would be way cool!

i will update everyone when get one to test fit.

now someone get me a freakin front lower valance from a 69 to 72… I’m sick of bidding on them on ebay!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  3. MikeG747

MikeG747 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Grabber, 347 4V w/F-1X, 1974 Maverick Grabber 302 4V, 1974 Maverick Grabber 302 2V, 1971 Maverick Grabber 302 4V.

4. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    I have one laying around in excellent condition. If you can use it without messing it up, you can borrow it. If not, no dice dude cause its going on my 71.

Can't wait to see the Grabber hood!

5. JnkYdMod

JnkYdMod Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Maverick Man, or anyone who knows?

Are there any Grabber trunk spoilers to be had, does Maverick Man make them, and what about the rear fender flares or whaterver they are called???

6. JnkYdMod

JnkYdMod Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    I feel like a DORK!!! No sooner did I mash the send button, did I find the answere to the question

7. Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
  8. Maverick Man

Vehicle: