Grabber value

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Fatbud89, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Fatbud89

Fatbud89 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    I am looking for a few opinions on what a nut and bolt restored 71 grabber value is.
    Professional paint, rebuilt drivetrain.
    A better than factory built car.

I am trying to decide between buying or building a car.
    Thanks in advance Budd.

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    It all depends on your experience level, fabrication skills, time frame, pocket book, connections with the Maverick world and the car you start with. We have seen well built cars with asking price at $40,000 that have not sold and cars that owners claim to have $100,000 into sell for $27,000.

If you want to build a top line car I would want to budget at least $50,000 for it. New front and rear suspension any motor transmission combo you want, metal work and fabrication, interior with nicer seats, new electrical wiring system with power windows/door locks, AC and a killer paint job (paint job could eat up $10,000 easily). If you started with a good body needing little work would be a great advantage.

As time has goes by the value of these cars have came up and finding one at a respectable price has gotten a lot harder but if you search long enough a car that you deem built to your standards will appear but to me I would expect that to be in the $25,000 to $30,000 price range and even at that it would probably need a few different things done to it. If you are stuck on just a 71 Grabber that makes things a little harder I would broaden the horizons and except a 72 Grabber or even a clone, sure a true Grabber is what most everybody wants but to me it makes no difference if it is a clone or not as it is not like and original Shelby GT 500 and highly valuable to begin with.

What ever you decide I wish you luck and keep coming to this forum as cars are advertised and sold quite frequently and most of the sellers have been on here for awhile and are honest and knowledgeable about the cars

palser64 likes this.
  3. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hey Fatbud89:
    I'am selling my 70 Maverick ( Grabber Clone ) 6M miles + with Dynacorn Hood and Scoops , New 5.0 Fuel Injection , 5 Speed O.D. Standard Transmission , New Everything ... intermittent wipers, sequential taillights , vintage AC , 3:55 equa lok rear end .. 3 " Driveshaft ..new floors, dynamat interior then new liners .. I want $ 27M .. Fly down and Drive it back .. Its not that far away from SC if you'd like to see it up close. It's under cover inside my shop. I'm keeping my 74 Comet and I don't really need two cars.
    Just thought I'd let you know there are some great cars out here available and Ready to Drive !
    Lemmeno if you're interested
    Cometized
    (Chip)

4. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    27M.. as in.. MILLION? :drool: Seems a little steep, Chip! Would you consider dropping the price to 22 Million? Kinda tight on cash.. might need to sell my 160 foot luxury yacht to come up with the extra 5 Million. :p

5. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    I'd say Mike is right in the ballpark and Chip's car represents a respectable turnkey driver. If you were to have ALL the work done by someone restoring cars for a living?.. I could see hitting 50k too.

PS. Mike's also right on target about original grabber cars valuation against clones. Maybe that changes in another 20-30 years from now.. but for the near future people buy these cars for affordability, looks, and straying from the packs of Mustangs and Camaros.. not because they are numbers matching with rare options based on marti reports.

mojo likes this.
  6. Fatbud89

Fatbud89 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    I'm not sure I want to spend 27k on a car.
    I have been watching Ebay the last couple months. I have seen several restored cars not sell for 20k.
    There is one on there now for 21,900.00

I guess it is a tough market to value.
    Have there been many cars trading over 20k?

7. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    There have been a few over the last several years but high teens seems to be more towards the norm.

Just need to keep in mind.. like most anything car related.. that customized cars, color drivetrain, etc.. will have a narrower segment of interested buyers than a true stock nut and bolt resto would. Problem is.. not many restore these cars to pure factory stock condition like the rarer models which fetch much higher valuations than if they are modified. And not many doing higher end resto's want to keep a 3 speed manual and 2bbl carb when going to all the trouble either so these cars tend to get modified in the process.

8. yellow75

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    The one you are referring to on ebay has been on for quite awhile and you probably notice that they state they spent close to 50k on restoration and is not better than a factory built car, it is a nice car not taking that away from it. With that said you could not build it for the asking price but certainly would want to see it in person before any thought about buying it as pictures dont tell all the story, been there done that

I think you have to highly be in love with the Maverick brand of cars before you invest big dollars in one and there are just not that many people with pockets deep enough to fork out that kind of money and most people would do it their selves if they had that kind of money or take years to do it investing a little at a time and nothing wrong with that until you get burnt out or life happens

9. 73curtis

73curtis Member

Vehicle:
    I don’t think the one on eBay is worth what there asking , for that price it should be done nicer , nice car but I would say 10 to 15 depending what it looked like in person.

z28th1s and yellow75 like this.
  10. Fatbud89

Fatbud89 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    Chip, I not sure but I would want to spend that much on a car but I would love to see some pics of it.
    If I buy a car I would like to keep my top dollar to 20K. Its hot in South Carolina so AC is a must. I want a clean fun to drive car to take to cruise ins and riding on Sundays.

11. z28th1s

z28th1s MCCI State Rep Coordinator

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick Grabber, '75 Comet GT, '70 Maverick (Grabber tribute)
    The hubcaps and the way the Grabber is on the side stripes kills it for me. I think that car is definitely overpriced. Most people must agree as it has been for sale for probably a year or so.

Craig Selvey and Fatbud89 like this.
  12. Fatbud89

Fatbud89 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    Well from a couple of your opinions, I will buy a car instead of build one. It seems to be the better financial choice.
    I am open to spend up to 20k on a rust free beautiful maverick. AC and high horse power would be great.
    Feel free to post here or email me at Fatbud89@aol.com

Thanks Budd

13. yellow75

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I think that is a wise decision and your budget will get you what you seek, might take awhile but dont buy it sight unseen unless no other way and ask for lots of pictures and ask about problem areas like cowl leaking and rust

14. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Oops ! I hope you guys realize that I meant THOUSAND .. not Million .. I've never seen a car like ours worth
    that kind of bread ! : )

Cometized
    (Chip )

15. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    I Understand .. You're probably looking for an ' occasional ' driver ..There are a LOT of good deals out there .. keep looking .. You'll find something out there that is going to be ' just right ' for you .. I'd insist on AC also .. I live in Florida and ALL our vehicles have AC : ) Pictures don't do the car justice .. You'd have to get close to it .. get it up
    on the lift .. checkout the underside also to get a real appreciation of the work that has been completed. I have a guy
    from New Orleans that is interested but he is driving down here to check it out. That's really the best way to buy a
    car as far as " I " am concerned .. Close Inspection is important .. Pictures can be deceptive and calculating ! Anyway ..I wish you success in your search.

Cometized
    (Chip)