Grille Restore

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by greenwa1, Mar 11, 2009.

1. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Here a little more detail and some pics.

I like scotch-brite pads to clean up plastics. Someone posted that they used 400 grit paper. Just in my opinion, that is way to abrasive for plastic. There are a lot of mold lines and sharp edges in these grills, Maverick or Comet. Sandpaper will round those out too much.

Like someone posted, clean with soap and water to remove all dirt and contaminants. I used a tack off chemical that I had to remove any oils or soap. I scuffed up the grill with the scotch-brite pad making it 'clean'. Note: the black grills were molded in black. If you have a grill that has been painted, and it is flaking or a mess, you may need stripper, but be careful with that. A lighter grit sandpaper, maybe 1000, would remove paint scale. But, I don't believe I would firmly sand a plastic grill with sandpaper if you want any sort of authentic and original look.

Paint:
    I personally have had great experience with SEM paints. But, there are a lot of great brands available. Just remember, good prep can make any paint look good. As far as paint choices, I would avoid glossy black paint. First off it is not correct if you want it to look original. Second it will show any marks and scratches easier over time.
    I used BullDog paint prep/adhesion promoter on several plastic items that I dyed or painted. It's great stuff. SEM makes an adhesion promoter also. In general, if you want a good quality look, stick with the better brands of paint and materials that paint/body shop supply stores carry. I wouldn't use anything that comes from Wal-Mart or $5 or less a can paint from AutoZone. Figure $20-$40 in materials to get the good stuff for a 2 tone Comet grill.

I spent about 12 hours in prep, paint, masking, and painting silver on the grill in my car. After spending that much time, why settle for $3/can paint.

Again, try paint and body shop supply stores. But, you can order online:
    http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-12811-695-klean-strip-bulldog-adhesion-promoter-etp123.aspx

I liked the result from SEM paints:
    [​IMG]

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SEM+39143

[​IMG]

My end result:
    [​IMG]

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  2. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Looks good!!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    JS-
    We need to get the other guy and do a Cracker Barrel run.

Seth

4. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Seth,

I'm all for it. Would like to meet Triangle Mavericks (and see their cars too :)). Pick a time and place.

Like I mentioned before, my Maverick won't be on the road for a year or so. I'm in the middle of rust repair. Plan to put some life in the engine, paint and interior incl headliner. Lots of work. But I'm up for a Cracker Barrel run.

Jim
    jsarnold@aol.com

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. greenwa1

greenwa1 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT, 71 Maverick
    Seth,

Thanks for the tips. How did you paint the grill? Black first then argent? How did you paint the argent accents?

6. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    I sprayed the black first, then masked off the areas to paint silver/argent. It's tedious. I am sending you pics of where to mask.

Seth

7. bartikus

bartikus Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet, 1977 4 door mav(dead), 1964 falcon 4 door wagon, 1936 studebaker dictator
    here is what i did

http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=44724

i went to autozone and purchased some plastic glue or apoxie or something like that glued it back together and cleaned it with a little soap and water. then i painted it black let it dry and taped it off to paint the silver on it. it came out really nice. i just used some spray paint from autozone.