Has anyone used Hays 84-105 Clutch Release Fork??

Discussion in 'Technical' started by yellowgrabber, Apr 6, 2020.

1. yellowgrabber

yellowgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Grabber, 61 Falcon Futura V8 363ci Dart Block, 62 Falcon V8 289ci toploader
    Greetings…

I have a '72 Maverick Grabber that I did a C4 to Toploader conversation in mid-'70s and I am looking to replace the D3DA-7515-AA (stamped on fork) which just broke after almost 50 yrs.

The D3DA-7515-AA is/was the wire "Spring" type but I want to convert it to the later "Clip" type lever/fork.

Curious if anyone has had any experience with the Hays 84-105 Fork? Looks good but the forks/fingers for the TOB are shorter and not the same as rounded style as the OEM.

Any feedback on the Hays 84-105 greatly appreciated.
    Plus any recommendations for optional Release Lever/Fork... C8OZ-7515-A seems most common. And recommendation for the Lever Bracket... I believe it should be C8AZ-7522-A.

Many thanks

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    I had that same clutch release fork with the "spring", was a pain in the butt to try and feed into the pivot bracket!
    I changed over to the "clip" type fork, D3DZ-7515-A and same pivot bracket you mentioned C8AZ-7522-A, both where service replacements for Boss 302.
    They are both still available new, through various vendors or eBay, fork is not cheap though anywhere from about $70-$180! I think you can probably get a reproduction for cheaper, same for the pivot bracket, which is much thicker than the one with the "spring". You would have to drill out the rivets to remove the old pivot and install new one with high strength 5/16" countersunk head grade 8 bolts, most aftermarket/reproduction come with attaching bolts.......
    Because I used a much greater clamping pressure plate, I had to drill out the pivot bracket holes to 3/8", as I was breaking the 5/16" left and right! If you more or less are using stock pressure plate, the 5/16" will be fine........
    Did you break the fork or the spring? I still have a "spring" type fork if you want it, but no spring........
    David

just looked at that Hays 84-105 from the description, it should work, price is OK too!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hays-84-10...550091&hash=item4b613e3ffc:g:VawAAOSwMoZcmkiG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Musta...PriorityMailLegalFlatRateEnvelope!98101!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1968-7...455642?hash=item4b7743709a:g:bt8AAOSw9wxehe1c

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  3. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Does anyone still use 3 finger pressure plates.

4. yellowgrabber

yellowgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Grabber, 61 Falcon Futura V8 363ci Dart Block, 62 Falcon V8 289ci toploader
    Thanks for the quick reply and info...
    I agree that the newer clip style is much easier. I bought the Hays but didn't realize that the TOB fingers were shorter/different until I received it and compared to the original... Otherwise, it is seems stronger and well made compare to the original and especially compared to the reproductions (i.e., Scott Drake C8OZ-7515-A)… and, as you said, good price. OEM are a little tougher to find and pricier but an option.

I am using a Centerforce Dual Friction "diaphram" setup that is much stronger than stock but not so aggressive that you break things like the Z-Bar when I raced the car in the '70s. Pedal pressure is not bad and should be ok with the 5/16 bolts. I have already drilled the rivets out and plan to use flathead grade 8 allen head bolts.

The fork broke right down to the spring holes at the pivot point. It must have been failing for a while. I thought the TOB was binding on the transmission bearing retainer (running T-5 now). I could feel a drag with the pedal close to the floor. Discovered after I took it apart that the fork must have been getting longer as it was bending (straightening out getting longer) and was pushing the TOB against the trans bearing retainer.

Anyway, thx again... would love to hear from anyone with experience with the Hays 84-105 Fork.

5. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Other than me.......

6. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    I used McLeod 16934 Clutch Fork when I did the t5 swap

7. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Well, If you use 3 finger, I guess it's still being used. Last manual I had was about 5 decades ago behind top-loaded, FE powdered 61 Galaxie. I was absent from car hobby until I got the Comet July 09. I don't recall Ford products using anything but 3 fingers at that time. As I recall, diaphragm were mostly GM.

8. yellowgrabber

yellowgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks... looks good. I did find that one after ordering the Hays. Couldn't find any reviews/feedback on that on either. I assume your happy with it.

As a side note, when I looked the McLeod up again on JEGS, they recommended there "branded" fork (P/N 601150) would ship sooner. It looks identical to the Hays 84-105 and sell for $38.01. Interesting...

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/601150/10002/-1

Thanks again...

9. yellowgrabber

yellowgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    Just as a follow-up/closure to my question... I ended up using the Hays 84-105 and so far it seems to be fine. As I mention, it was stouter construction than the reproduced replacements and even OEM. And if the version Jegs sells is the same quality (or made by Hays) its a great buy... now about $42.

I guess I can't complain too much about the OEM fork breaking. I did the manual trans toploader conversion back in the mid-'70s from used parts, so fork that broke lasted 45+ years of abuse. I think the Z-bar broke at least twice when racing back then. The Centerforce diaphragm pressure plate is a lot more forgiving than the old 3 finger performance pressure plate I used then.

Again, thx for the feedback...