Headers

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by Danielmaverick, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Danielmaverick

Danielmaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1970 ford maverick
    S I changed out my 302 and put in a 347. I put in the Doug thorley headers which fit really well and didn't touch anything only issue was the pitman totally blocking the end of the headers. So I put back in the old hooker headers 6901. But the headers are contacting part of the frame (picture below where the rust is. I heard that the critics headers fit perfectly is this true does anyone have pictures of the space they have between headers and frame/ strut tower only on driver side am I having this issue. Has anyone used motor mount spaces to resolve this issue.

Attached Files:

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    It looks like you have power steering. I also have a 302 stroked to a 347, with power steering, and used the Doug Thorley shorty headers. A good muffler shop can bend the exhaust to go around the pitman arm.

driver exhaust 3.jpg

3. Danielmaverick

Danielmaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1970 ford maverick
    I have a manual transmission, the Doug thorley headers are designed for automatics. I think I should be fine if I get spacers. I might just run into issues with the pitman are agian

4. Danielmaverick

Danielmaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1970 ford maverick
    I think I'm going to try the spacers I think a half an inch should be good I just need the headers off the frame of the car to stop the vibrations. If that doesn't work I will go with the crites or 6208