Hello Mav Fans!

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by FL_Dave, Dec 2, 2020.

1. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Happy to find this Forum, thank you letting me join. I'm David from Tampa, bought my first Maverick back in 1978, it was a 72 2D with the old split color paint job (blue on top, white on the bottom, but had the in-line 200/6. I had it for 9 years until I got t-boned and totalled it, broke my heart. I planned to drop a 302 in it but never could afford to.

Here I am many years later, been looking for a proper Grabber in any condition but after 3 years of looking I couldn't wait to get myself another Maverick. Just found a really nice 77 at the Turkey Run in Daytona last weekend, but someone modified the front and rear bumpers to match a 72 so it looks right. By the way, almost 10,000 cars, only two Mavericks and one Comet.

It has a 302, Holly 4B and really nice exhaust, sounds great. IMG-4235.jpg IMG-4232.jpg IMG-4231.jpg Motor was from a 94 F150 and totally rebuilt so it really runs great. I have some cosmetic things to do like replacing the painted bumpers with Chrome and getting some emblems proper, but I'm really excited to be a Maverick owner again. I look forward to hearing from you all and picking your brain to get caught up. We Maverick lovers are a small crowd, but I actually like that fact.

2. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    1994 Chevrolet 383 Silverado
    Welcome to the forum David! Wow!! Looks like you scored a winner right there!! I don't have a Maverick currently but am hoping to score one after our son leaves home when I'll have the extra space and hopefully a little more time to work on that kind of stuff. Being a 94 model 302 will make it a roller motor which is ideal. Looking forward to some updates from you on the cosmetic changes. See ya round bud, Joe

3. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Thanks Joe! Yeah, I really did score on this one, couldn't pass it up. I hope to put a CAM in it soon along with headers for a nicer sound, but honestly it rumbles quite nicely like it is. This is definitely my toy now after years of raising 3 kids and working hard, so it's my time again. I feel like a kid again already. Good luck in your quest, I hope it happens soon.

Mustang1989 likes this.
  4. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    One more funny note, as I spent time with the seller at the show, lots of people came over and drooled over the car, but at least half of their first response was "what is that"? Haha, I love that reaction and it amazes me how few do, but it seems there is finally just due being given this great looking model. I like unusual things and based on how few I see at shows, this fits the bill.

I believe that if Ford had promoted the Grabber like they did the Mustangs, Torino's etc. it would have been more popular, but they focused instead on making it an affordable family car. I personally think the car has great lines and was underappreciated.

Shorty and Mustang1989 like this.
  5. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    1994 Chevrolet 383 Silverado
    Right you are about it being under-appreciated. Kind of like a forgotten gem.

6. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Welcome to the forum from northeast Illinois! Nice find, sure you will enjoy it! :Handshake:

7. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
  8. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    I’m not a “Mav fan”.......
    Welcome to the forum, from the winter wasteland.

9. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick Grabber
    Welcome from the Northeast!

10. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    :Welcome: from south central PA.

11. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Welcome from Portland, OR. Nice car for sure! Painted bumpers look nice on there too. When I was a kid, my cars were all daily drivers and at the time were up to date. Adding factory options that I could find in junkyards were the only upgrades I ever attempted. Having a "toy" car is so much more thrilling as anything goes when the budget allows, and being an "adult" kid is a new fun to have.

GrabberT likes this.
  12. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Nice Car!!

Welcome from East Coast VA :wave:

13. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Since my original post I've been accumulating all kinds of things to try and get this baby more proper. I've been able to find the proper emblems for the quarters, grill and even the gas cap which is cool. This has a really nice locking cap that is original and says Maverick across the top which I had never seen before. While that's nice, I prefer the original one with the longhorn logo. Hope to have the chrome bumpers by Feb which I think will also make a huge difference.

It's been 35 years since I had my 72 so it's really been fun re-familiarizing myself with the car. Call me crazy but I love Mavericks. Every time I take this car out I get lots of head turns, thumbs up and of course questions like "what is that?" That's my favorite.

14. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    For sure stumanchu, I feel like a kid again.

15. Smitty

Smitty Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick Grabber