Help identifying transmission

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by NCN, Sep 10, 2019.

1. NCN

NCN Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet
    I got the 74 comet with running. It goes into reverse, bit drive first and 2nd won't engage. Can anybody tell me what the stock transmission would be? Also what would cause it to not engage into drive or 1st or 2nd? If I have to get it rebuilt about how much should I expect that to cost.

The car has the 302 v8 in it if that helps any.

2. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    It should be a C4, is the fluid full?

3. NCN

NCN Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet
    Fluid is full, linkage is moving, pulls in and out of reverse fine, but can't feel D, 2, or 1 engage.

4. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Ok, let’s start over. You said that you got it running, had it been sitting for awhile?

5. NCN

NCN Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet
    It has sat for 22 years. Here's all that has been changed out or done:

New battery, tires, distributor cap, plugs, plug wires, fluids, filters, vacuum lines, coolant lines, fuel lines, alternator, voltage regulator, fuel pump, starter solenoid, wiring fixed or replaced for a bit inside engine bay, carb rebuilt, new master break cylinder, transmission filter and gasket for pan. I'm sure I missed something small but that's all the bigger stuff.

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Any car that has sat for 22 years will need everything. I think first and foremost the entire brake system needs replaced. All wheel cylinders, pads, shoes, calipers, rubber lines, etc.

Getting back to the transmission....I would not have replaced the transmission filter until AFTER you had the car running and driving after sitting for 22 years. Otherwise I can only assume two things at this point:

1. While replacing the transmission filter something was not done correctly.

-or-

2. The transmission was junk to begin with.

After sitting 22 years without moving, I imagine all the seals and rubber parts inside the transmission are now junk. I suspect it will require a rebuild. If you pull the transmission and take it to a shop, expect to spend $500 to $1000 or more to have it rebuilt. If you have a shop remove/reinstall the transmission, add $250 to $500 to the bill.

Bringing a car back from a 22 year nap is not for beginners unless you have really deep pockets.

BBMS18 likes this.
  7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Likely you've found out why it'd been setting for 22 years, no forward gears.

Could maybe have a valve in valve body stuck but I doubt chaining filter had an effect.

NCN likes this.
  8. NCN

NCN Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet

Breaks will be getting done all the way around. Got the breaks bled off and they are working enough for testing to see if it would drive. They still stop just need replaced.

As for the Tranny filter I don't see why it shouldn't be replaced. It's 7 bolts under the pan. If I mess that up I should just save the radiator cap and scrap the rest.

I'm going to be taking it into the shop to get the Tranny rebuilt. Today or tomorrow.

Lastly the guy I got it from said when he parked it the Tranny had a leak. Which pan gasket fixed.

9. NCN

NCN Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet
    I'm assuming it was parked for possibly that reason. He gave me a heads up the Tranny may have issue, but he wasn't sure since it sat at his place for so long.

10. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    This is also my thought. You may want to try pouring a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol in the trans (trick I learned a couple hundred years ago) let the engine and trans warm up to operating temperature and full of transmission fluid, dump in the alcohol then run it through the gears (I like to have the wheels off the ground for this).
    At this point what do you have to loose?