Help with headliner removal for dent repair?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mrbusto71, May 26, 2017.

1. mrbusto71

mrbusto71 Member

Vehicle:
    76 Maverick
    Hey folks!

So I finally started working on my 76 Maverick, and I've made enough progress that I'm starting to feel more comfortable working on it. With that said, I need some guidance on how to remove the headliner so I can fix a dent on the roof (passenger side)?

It's a sizable dent, so I got a hold of the proper tools to fix it (no dent puller, but the curved metal thing and a hammer, etc). Now I just need to remove the headliner in that area so I have access to the roof.

I can press up through the headliner and feel the bent metal, so I don't think there's a board in the way. I also don't think I'd need to remove the entire thing? I just want to take the front half off, hammer out the dents, then put it back.

I couldn't find any YouTube videos that were relevant to my example, so I figured I'd ask here!

Thanks a ton :)

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    The headliner material is pinched behind the windshield weather strip. You are going to be hard pressed to remove the headliner without damaging it. Its old, dried out and brittle and has glue holding it in place. Best bet would be to try and come at it from the side. At least there you can access the head liner where its glued to the pinch rail. A little heat and some WD-40 should loosen the glue up. But, again...The headliner fabric is old and brittle and will probably rip. If I were you, get a stud gun and burn a few studs to the roof and pull the dent from outside...Or plan to replace the headliner...Just so you know...The headliner in these cars was installed before the window glass. Good luck.

PS: Depending on how bad the dent is...You may be able to pull it with a suction cup dent puller, also from outside...

Ronald Hopkins, Hotrock and 71gold like this.
  3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    my Mav. had a dent/crease in the roof on the pass. side also (tree limb). my body Guy removed the headliner for the repair. a new one was needed.
    he took his hammer and dolly and went all over the roof. he said this was walking the dent out. what he explained to me was...the dent stretched the metal so doing this would shrink it back. also said there is a crown in the roof that has to be maintained.
    he hammered for an hour before the roof/dent popped back up. then he worked the crease. pic shows the spot when he finished.

Attached Files:

4. mavdog71

mavdog71 Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick Grabber
    Due you have a oil can type bent in the panel if so you may need a slap File and a Dolly to shrink the metal . If the center roof support is bent you will need to straighten it .

Oil can type of dent is where you can push the panel one way and it stay you push it the other way and it stays or it can pop back