Here's how to get rid of the column shift lever

Discussion in 'Technical' started by RMiller, Jul 5, 2010.

1. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    So I'm converting my dad's truck from a 4 speed to an auto and when I bought the steering column I bought parts, not a complete unit. I figured I would take two and make one. Little did I know what this would lead me to do. Turns out you can use the parts from an 89 F150 to get rid of the shift lever!

So here's the test mule, an extra column I got with the Grabber.
    [​IMG]

And the donor parts left over from the truck.
    [​IMG]

Forgot to take a picture before I took it off but this bolt (in the hole) needs to be removed to disassemble the shift linkage in the column.
    [​IMG]

Once the shifter collar is off remove this clip and slide the shift tube out of the column.
    [​IMG]

Using the ignition switch rod from the Maverick I bolted the truck parts on.
    [​IMG]

The plastic collar that replaced the shifting collar is mounted with three screws. Unfortunately the only way to mount it using all three inhibits the ignition rack and rod so I used the two that were 180' apart from each other.It's plenty solid and once mounted should last for years.
    [​IMG]

Now for the issues which are all minor. There is a notch for the lever that you press to bring the lock cylinder to the lock position on the truck. You can leave the lever there but I hate them so I'll end up filling it in.
    [​IMG]

The slot for the hazzards is longer than the one for the maverick but I need a new switch so I'll just get one for the truck which will cover it up.
    [​IMG]

Then there is the lock cylinder, they are different. I think you can switch the inards from the Maverick but I don't have snap ring pliers long enough to get at it. I'll just get one from the truck and I doubt anyone will notice.
    [​IMG]

Last but not least is the steering box end. This isn't too horrible but I would like to seal it to keep the engine funk out of the passenger compartment.
    [​IMG]

Here it is buttoned up.
    [​IMG]

Just need the rubber filler piece from the column in the car.
    [​IMG]

Now you can give this to a five year old, it should make a great imaginary rocket launcher!
    [​IMG]

2. jean282

jean282 Member

Vehicle:
    73 comet
    Its me or the picture dont work ?

3. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    It must be you...I see them.

4. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    In the words of Artie Johnson..." Very interesting"...

5. 74 GRABBER

74 GRABBER Member

Vehicle:
    1974 grabber, 1995 mustang GT, 1967 mustang coupe, 1956 Caddilac sedan Deville
    I pulled a steering column out of a mid 80's bronco for this same reason, I just looked at it and figured it would work (I had not got that far yet).

You proved it will work :)

Thank you!

6. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I almost threw the pieces away but decided to investigate the possability. It was that or start removing the heavy old 4 speed, kind of a no brainer. Figured if it worked it would open up the options for those that want to lose the column shifter.

7. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    All the pix I've seen of Bronco and truck columns look like they'd bolt in as-is except for the floor plate, did you consider trying this or at least test-fitting it?

8. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    The main tube from the truck was longer than the Maverick and larger in diameter so I didn't even try to fit it. It did make me wonder about the earlier trucks though, maybe a better match there. It only took about 15 minutes to swap the pieces and it could easily be done without removing it from the car.