Hey Guys, Tire and wheel advice

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by Shadow750, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Shadow750

Shadow750 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I have a 70, I put in 4 link coil over in the rear. So no leaf spring problems. I want to get the biggest rubber under it with out rubbing. Looks like I may be able to fit a 9.5 rim in the rear and 8 inch in the front. Im not sure to go 16 or 17 inch. I like the torq thrust. I know tire sizes are limited some on both 16 and 17 inch. Any experinece or advice would be helpful. I'm sure some of you have done this already. Ride height is adjustable. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

2. Jaybee

Jaybee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    Getting the biggest tires underneath will pretty much require measuring and careful selection of wheel width plus backspacing. You may even need to get a wheel that has a touch more backspacing and add a 1/4" spacer to set it just right. As far as wheel diameter is concerned, these days there's a lot better variety of tires for a 17" wheel.

3. Shadow750

Shadow750 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Thanks Jaybee, I agree. I would rather space it out a bit because you can't go in once comitted to a wheel. I think it will be 9 inch or 9.5. Which is 10 inch and 10.5 inch overall. What do you think for tires? 245-45-17 or 255-45-17? The front will have to be a bit smaller I think.