Hopefully going to buy my first Mav!!

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by ATOMonkey, Nov 7, 2005.

1. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Thanks for the info!!! I don't plan on getting too crazy with it just yet. I wanted to make sure I got the Teksid block so that I wouldn't have to worry about it. My first mod is just going to be pretty aggressive on the cams and a new intake. I'm mostly interested in getting that nice rumbling uneven idle. Of course, if I end up making another 50 or 60 HP I won't complain too much about that. ;) I don't plan on buying any engine hardware for a couple of months, but any leads on parts that aren't going to break the bank would be apprecieated. I'm going to try to run the stock computer. Is SCT the best place for a PATS disabling chip and new tune? I haven't really priced how much a flasher is either.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  2. ShadowMaster

ShadowMaster The Bad Guy

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    For camshafts...it's hard to beat the FR500 cam kit from FRPP. Put them in my kid's car and that thing flies. They were good for 48 rwhp. Let me know if you decide to get them. I have a dealer-pricing deal with a couple of FRPP dealers. Haven't tried the Comp Cams stuff but I've heard it's not too bad. See if you can find an intake on the Corral (www.corral.net/forums) or on Ebay. Should be less than $400 on either one. SCT can probably burn a chip for you to disable the PATS. Most any chip dealer can do it. SCT or DiabloSport. Find a dealer close to you so you won't be far from help. Check with SCT on the flash tuner. Not sure if you can use it to turn off the PATS. I did my son's car with a DiabloSport custom chip. Killed the PATS and the O2 sensor inputs.

3. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Well, this is going to be a street car first, race car second, so I'd like to keep the O2 capability. Well, this probably has pre-cat post-cat sensors doesn't it? Hmmmm... I only want to run off of the pre-cat sensor so I'll need to disable the second one. I saw a wide band O2 kit on http://www.modularfords.com/ the other day. I'd like to be able to run the engine closed loop the entire time if I could. I initially looked at a FAST stand alone with a self learning computer, but I got a great deal on this engine. That $550 included the harness, comp, and most of the accessories. So, I guess I'm going to try to make the ford electronics work first. I might switch over to FAST if this proves to be a giant pain. I'm going to have to hold off on the cam kit for a little while. I only had $900 in my hot-rod account after I sold my firebird and I've already burned through that for the car and the engine. My wife keeps saying something about spending money on the house first. I try not to listen to that too much ;) Any way, I'll keep you in mind. Thanks for the offer!

4. ShadowMaster

ShadowMaster The Bad Guy

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    You can run off the primary O2 sensors and turn off the secondary units. You shouldn't need the wide band kit either. It's not a "need to have" item. FAST system is nice but totally unnecessary. I run the kid's car off of a '96 Cobra processor. He's got another Futura in the driveway that he wants to redo with an '03/04 Cobra supercharged setup. He's nuts.

5. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    I received my engine on the 27th. Looks great, just like the pictures! The seller shipped it on the Mark VIII cross member, so I don't have to go fishing for motor mounts now. All I have to do is figure out how to graft them to the mustang II cross member. That's a long way off though. The PCM is being shipped seperately. The engine is almost as big as the car is! Well, not quite, but you know what I'm saying. All of my house projects are done, so I can start cleaning up the car now.

6. ShadowMaster

ShadowMaster The Bad Guy

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Yeah...it's a big mother. Thought there was plenty of room in my kid's Fairmont until we put that monster in there. Don't know what you're planning to do for brakes but I borrowed an idea from our race car. Used a floor mount pedal kit that attaches to a Strange Engineering master cylinder. Puts the master cylinder just under the floor in front of the drivers seat. Works like a charm and really cleans up the engine compartment.

7. backwoodsbill

backwoodsbill New Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    I also may have information on other parts for your cars out there in my area If anyone is interested

8. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I have fenders and a hood, and will be going through Indianapolis on the 2nd or 3rd of Feb. Email me if interested.

9. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Thanks for the offer, but I think I've decided to go fiberglass on those parts. I'm sorry I'm going to miss you, but I'll be in Champagne Illinois for my sister's birthday.

Anyway, this update has been a long time coming. A lack of funds and ambition has slowed my progress. Yesterday I got fired up though. I got a propane heater for my birthday and a MIG welder (that I need to go out and buy) and a chain hoist that I also need to buy and install.

So I started tearing into the rest of the interior last night. To bring everyone up to speed, I've stripped everything out of the interior except the dash. The floors are rusted completely through in several areas, one of which is above a section of frame, which has me a little worried, but not too bad. The other is in the passenger foot well. There is severe rust damage here from the infamous leaking cowl vent. My objective was to remove the dash and discover just how extensive the damage was.

I had no idea how hard that was going to be. Thanks to the forum for the dash removal links!! So, now I have the windshield out of the car (it was cracked anyway) in one piece, and the dash and package tray out. I started on the HVAC last night, but called it quits when I got to the heater core. Apparently a mouse had made a little home in the passenger side vent. Pretty disgusting. I just hope I don't find any mouse skeletons when I'm taking the rest of it out!

I'm starting to accumulate quite a collection fo "stuff." I'm also developing a clear image of what I want the car to look like. I'm not a big fan of chrome, so all the chrome trim isn't going back on. I'm taking care to remove it without any bends dings or scratches. It's in decent shape and I know how hard it can be to find some of this stuff. I'm also going to shave and smooth the drip rails. This will be a fair weather only car. I probably won't get to work on it again until later this week, but I need to keep this momentum going!

10. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    I just got my cardomain site up and running. I forgot some pictures that I'll have to scan tomorrow, but it's currently up to date. I've got a loooooong way to go.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2200206

11. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
  12. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Well, it says '73 on the title, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'll get the VIN and let you know. Thanks!

13. daydreamer

daydreamer Mavmenace

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    :Welcome: to the board.. your project sounds like a dilly.. hope everything goes well.. tons of info to help you out..RON :clap:

14. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    looks like a lot of work. i'm in the same position. need to get started on my projects. just that the maverick i race has been kicking my butt recently.:)

15. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Thanks for the encouragement. I updated my site with more pictures if you want to check it out.

Jaime, the first number is a 3.