Hopefully going to buy my first Mav!!

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by ATOMonkey, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Somebody has swapped out the vin number because the car is difinitley a 1970.

2. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Interesting... What tipped you off that's it's a '70 and not a '73? I don't really mind one way or the other, but I'd like to tell people the right year when they ask.

3. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    The drop in gas tank is a 1970 only thing. Plus...the bumper on the front is not a 1973 Front bumper.

4. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Updated my website with more pics.

5. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    The DOHC is kinda in the car now. I set it in there just to see how much it wasn't going to fit. All I can say is WOW! This engine is HUGE! At least it's shorter than the 6 so it'll sit back further and give me more room up front for the serpentine setup and electric fans. Now all I need is that rod & custom front end.

6. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    The REAL VIN number should be stamped on the fender Apron. Since you have the fenders off you should be able to see it ... drivers side. A 70 should also have a riveted plate with the VIN as well as the VIN on the DASHBOARD. Perhaps he gave you the wrong title?

7. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    i just looked at the pictures. lots of work done. looks good. the 73's came with a glove compartment. the 69 1/2 - 72 used the package tray. however ford was definitely prone to using up some old parts when they had the chance, but the gas tank is definitely an earlier model. my 71 had a gas tank mounted underneath. i pretty much think it's a 70. maybe somebody swapped the vin number to match the title. :)

8. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Thanks! I'll check that out tonight. It very well could be the wrong title. I never thought to make sure the title matched the dash VIN.

I wonder if the state of Indiana would issue me a title with the proper VIN if I can pull it off of the fender apron.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  9. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    Thanks again! Things come apart quick with an impact gun or two. (y)

That's odd that the dash would be a '72, but have a '73 VIN stuck to it.

What about the 5 lug front drum? That struck me as odd when I finally noticed it. Are the '70s supposed to be 4 luggers?

This car is such a frankesteiner! It's going to have a '97 engine an '03-'04 drivetrain, and custom made everything else. The only thing that's going to be original is the roof!!

10. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Actually, some early 73's did come with package trays, my '73 4 door had a package tray from the factory. 5 lug means nothing, that is a weekend job to convert a car to 5 lug.

That said, I am 99% sure your car is actually a 1970. You need to get the correct V.I.N. thats on the dash and fender apron and register the car with that. If you register it under the '73 title and the V.I.N. dosen't match whats on the dash, you could be getting a ticket and paying some fines if you get pulled over and the V.I.N. on the insurance and registration dosen't match the car. My uncle had that problem with an old Mustang years ago.

11. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    The great mystery has been solved!!!

The VIN on the fender apron on the driver's side was almost illegible. It was much better on the pass side, which still isn't saying much.

0K91T188076 which is different from the dash and title which are 3K91L170210

So, it looks like it is a '70.

12. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    After looking at the car on Monday...I can shed some light.

It is actually a 1969 1/2. It had a 1973 VIN plate glued down on top of the original 1970 VIN plate. It had lots of interesting things on it. It was built in Sept of 1969. It had a data sticker on the door jamb instead of the data tag rivited to the door. It had a slightly different factory AC system that I had never seen before. Some of the cowl metal panels were also different. Lots of interesting things to me since I had never seen a 1969 1/2 Maverick before this close...as well as being this far dis-assembled. It should be pretty mean when he gets that motor shoe-horned in there.