Hot Body.............Work

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by riporter, May 22, 2005.

1. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    If I did that my hand would go numb from the blood....er ...hmmmm....uh...nevermind :evilsmile

Burlap I hit those spots with etching primer...magic markers?...been there done that :yup:

Terry you've heard the stories about taking your car to the bodyshop and not seeing it for 6 months? There fast compared to me :49: I'd hate to have to figure the hours I have in this so far.:oops:

John....your startin to sound like my kids:D ...It's only 2 away months Dad...you'll never finish by then:p
    We are eatin supper the other night and my youngest asks "What if the cars not ready for Roundup?" I tell him no Car, no Roundup, every night since they both ask if I'm going to the shop to work on the car....:rofl:
    I wouldn't have started if there was any doubt of not finishing by Roundup time.

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  2. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    Looks sooper dooper... I mean, Looks great! Another one to look forward to seeing when done.(y)

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I feel for ya. I hate body work. Especially on a deadline. Its one of those evil necessities. Unfortunately, I'm the only guy I can afford.

4. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

arrrghhh.....body work,.........i can paint all day long.....anything....but i hate the bodywork....i am at the point where i just want to wrap up my bodywork and just paint it...after all i wont ever show it in car shows...i just want it to look better than it does....

bodywork is so frustrting....unless you get a few guys together and knock it out on a weekend....i wish i had friends like that still around here....

any ways

its looking real good...

my pics will come soon... i hope... :)

5. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    I have faith in you...............Dad! :D

6. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Looking great Rick.(y) Yes, bodywork is real test of patience. I let my husband do most of the bodywork we do ( he's been doing it MUCH longer than I have:D ), but I'm the one who checks it over. I used to close my eyes and feel the bodywork too, but now I just look at the wall or the floor or anything but the car. I don't know why it works, but it does for me.

7. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    Well I blocked it again and really didn't turn up anything more than the previous time.

Soooo... I guide coated it...arrrrgggghh:eek: ...turned up half a dozen little dings no larger than a pencil eraser on each side.
    It also showed the minor imperfections in the body work I thought was good enough to pass muster...not being 100 percent sure it wouldn't show through the final paint job...I skimmed and sanded em again.
    Hood, decklid and trim are up next...it's gonna be a looong weekend.:90:

8. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Patience grasshopper

9. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    If it shows with the guide coat it will show in the final topcoat ...

Here is another trick ... Put a light above the car but off to the side. Once you think you have a panel nice and straight and ready for final paint grab a rag and your trusty can of wax, silicon and grease remover. Wet the entire panel down real good with this stuff .. it will now shine like fresh topcoat. Pick a location and find the reflection of the light in your wet panel. Now ... slowly move your line of sight up and down the panel watching the reflection of the light bulb. The bulb in the reflection should not quiver, distort or ripple if the panel is perfectly straight ...

10. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    .... a little closer to color

well after fixin the small dings I found after guide coating it I applied a coat of primer surfacer and blocked it, it turned up nothing.
    The surfacer is a lot easier to work with than the epoxy primer and dries by the time I do clean-up on the gun, the finish is slicker than snot.

I think the finish is so good because of the epoxy primer under it, even though it was kind of a pain the finish turned out real nice.
    The pics are right after applying the second coat of surfacer, if it sands out as nice as the first coat I'll be ready for paint pretty soon.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  11. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    I predict paint in the next two weeks. Nice goin Rick.
    Dan

12. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I wish I was as good at bodywork as you are. Mine always looks really nice until primer hits it. I think the primer makes the bondo and fiberglass warp...somehow. :rolleyes:

13. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Looks great, can't wait to see the paint!

14. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    Scooper I'm not that good with bodywork, but I'm finding out having the right tools and materials I can fake it pretty good. :16suspect
    The biggest thing is to not get frustrated if it doesn't turn out right the first time...or second or third or...well you get the picture..:90:
    As I stated in a previous post I skimmed and sanded the worst place 6 times and still had to go back and do it one more time.
    I did a little restoration work on the back side of the hood today, applied some por-15 after sanding and cleaning then applied some por-15 chassis coat. Also did the underside of the valences.
    If this stuff finishes like I think it is, I'm doing the entire chassis with it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  15. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    That stuff is awesome.
    Dan